• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is G4 dual 550mhz any good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Is G4 dual processor 550mhz gigabyte ethernet tower any good for video editing or anything else? Does the dual processor give any benefit or is 550mhz too slow?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is no Dual 550Mhz that I have ever seen. The Gigabit Ethernet came in Dual 450 and Dual 500. The Digital Audio came in Dual 533.

Trying to see just what machine you have.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
dtravis7 said:
There is no Dual 550Mhz that I have ever seen. The Gigabit Ethernet came in Dual 450 and Dual 500. The Digital Audio came in Dual 533.

Trying to see just what machine you have.

You are very smart my friend! It is a dual 500mhz overclocked to 550mhz.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, the Dual CPU will make a difference but still at that CPU speed don't expect fast rendering and compression but it will work. Not sure if HD with latest Final Cut will work though but the 2 processors will be supported in those applications. Maybe someone else who had done video work on an older Dual G4 can tell you more.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok then I guess I will pass on it. I saw one for sale for a somewhat decent price, but it doesn't sound like I would really benefit from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
My g4 single 733mhz ran final cut proHD for a while.. the system had 768mb ram and 320gb of hard disk space. It ran ok, but after you start editing HD, it just gets really slow and lots of frames are lost. I'd look into getting an early g5 or MMD g4 for video editing.. If you can afford it, a newer PM g5 would be even better.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A newer G5 is out of price range right now (and probably will be for some time) right now I just use my G4 1.5ghz laptop, it works quite well but it might be nice to have a decently priced desktop for video editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.