I didn't know you couldn't do full screen!!

A

Annie

I will hate this! What is up with this - going full screen is pretty standard stuff - I can't imagine how it will look. I just don't know about this - how do you switch from one app to another - as in Windows as it in the task bar - a simple click and it opens to full screen - I can't see the other ap behind the window - that will drive me crazy!! Guess I will wait to get it and see for myself but I can't believe you can't maximize to full screen.

Annie

OP
A

Annie

I'm sorry - I will shut up now - you have to think this is a huge change - Someone who has used ONLY windows for 20 years is now changing to a completely different OS - it's scary to say the least.

Annie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Annie said:
I'm sorry - I will shut up now - you have to think this is a huge change - Someone who has used ONLY windows for 20 years is now changing to a completely different OS - it's scary to say the least.

Annie

I know hindsight is 20/20, but did you ever go to an Apple Store (or Any Apple vendor) and taken one for a test drive and ask questions and what not? Being in the design engineering business I have been using PC's for the past eleven years for work and for about 15 years total. Other than my iPod, my MBP is by far the best purchase I have made this year. The OS has been more refreshing to me than a shock to a system.

If anything, you can always sell it like was suggested. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Have a look at the OS X 101 ( http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ ), probably starting with the 'Get me working and playing' tutorial. This will tell you all about window controls, switching apps and what-have-you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Annie said:

Annie

You will get used to it. It is a change but once you play with OS X and all the things you can do with it that Windows couldn't you won't even notice. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Annie,
welcome to the greener side of the fence. Yes the full screen button is not there. However, there ARE some 3rd party tips and small proggies that will give you that ability. There was actually a program that did this that I saw reviewed a few weeks ago. I gotta head out but when I come back I'll give it a whirl and see what I can find. In the mean time, try this. Google "mac os x full screen" and see what comes up. More than likely you'll find something on the first page.

Good luck,
Bishop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Simple explanation:

The green "zoom" button on every window has two settings: "Fit to content" and "User specified".

Open a Safari window. Drag the bottom right corner to make the app full screen. Now click the Zoom button. The window will become smaller and fit the window to the content of the site (rather small for google.com). Now click the Zoom button again, it should be "User Specified", or full screen.

Honestly, though, try and get used to not using windows fullscreen. What's the point of having a high-res LCD monitor when one window takes up the entire screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
you should have asked questions in the apple store! We were there for 2 hours asking questions and test driving them before we said YES to the purchase!!!! go to the apple store and they will show you allllll the tips of the trade! hey you can even take a free class that they offer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
I actually have gotten accustomed to not having full screens and multitasking with many progs in my viewing range in a matter of 1 day of limited use. Im not sure why this concept doesnt work on PC's but it is absolutely dynamite with a mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
surfwax95 said:
Simple explanation:

The green "zoom" button on every window has two settings: "Fit to content" and "User specified".

Open a Safari window. Drag the bottom right corner to make the app full screen. Now click the Zoom button. The window will become smaller and fit the window to the content of the site (rather small for google.com). Now click the Zoom button again, it should be "User Specified", or full screen.

My Safari always snaps back to narrow when I do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Drag the corner to make Safari full screen and then close the window. Now, whenever you open Safari, assuming you don't manually change the size of the window, it should be full screen. I did this a long time ago and every time I open Safari it is full screen. It should remember the size of the last window you closed.

OP
A

Annie

found an Apple store

Found an Apple store about 40 minutes from me - I didn't realize we had one that close! I will go there tonight to test it out so I'll part way know if it is something I will want. They do hold free classes also. Someone told me the closest store to me was 3 hours away - should have looked on my own. Will report back! Thanks everyone - I hope I'm not being a pain here - just a lot of money to spend and I should have checked it out more closely before I purchased it.
Annie

OP
L

Logan

Default keys (they're changable) that i personally love:

F11 - "Show desktop" equiv for OS X, but instead all the windows are moved to the sides of the screns for a moment, when you press the key again they return.
I guess it's called Expose or soemthing.

Another.. F10 - All non-minized windows are cascaded *temporarily* and you can easily hover your mouse over each item and see it's name. Click, it becomes the front window and you can move it around as needed.

Another... hold apple (command/windows) key and press the title of a window in the background... you can move the position of a window without changing focus.

they're simple little things, but.. if you want windows-style "fullscreen" you're probably looking for a "maximized" (The box in the middle of the 3 buttons ona PC) equiv. What you can do is shrink your Dock (the Taskbar equiv in windows) in OS X then press the + green button (maximize in OS X) and that is almost identical to maximizing in Windows.

If you're meaning Safari doesn't run "fullscreen" when you're browsing the internet, you can download Firefox and go to View.. Full Screen (I believe?) or another browser.

Also pressing COMMAND+tab will switch apps just like pressing ALT+TAB in windows. Or right click applications on your Dock in OS X, you will get a list of current runnign windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
I lost Reputation points for making this EXACT same thread prior to my Macbook arriving. Annie doesnt because she is a girl (presumably), and guys on Forums love girls on forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Logan said:
Default keys (they're changable) that i personally love:

I guess it's called Expose or soemthing.

Another.. F10 - All non-minized windows are cascaded *temporarily* and you can easily hover your mouse over each item and see it's name. Click, it becomes the front window and you can move it around as needed.

F9 shows all non-minimized windows by default.

F10 show windows from the current app only.
**Tip** hit 'tab' after hitting F10 for more expose goodness. Shift+Tab to do it backwards!!

Oh yeah, try Shift+F9-11 and Shift+Minimize. Try it with a Movie playingfor more fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
alucard said:
You will get used to it. It is a change but once you play with OS X and all the things you can do with it that Windows couldn't you won't even notice. :)

For one thing, the might mouse and its addtional thumb buttoms make my life easier to switch between screens. :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.