boot camp question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" Core 2 Duo - 2.16 GHz - 2Gb RAM - 256 Mb Graphics
I serached for what I am asking now, but I could not find an answer.
Ok, I have a windows xp pc, and soon I'm going to purchase an imac. I the Operating System Windows XP Service Pack 1a disk whuch came with my computer a couple years ago. If I want to run boot camp on the imac, can I install Service Pack 1a and then somehow update it to Service Pack 2??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
No.

You must start with SP2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Yup you must install with SP2, I first tried to do the install with a SP1 cd (thought I grabbed my Windows SP2 CD) and the Bootcamp drivers for windows wouldnt install after I was done install XP, I then realized what I did and tried just to throw SP2 on to save time but it still didnt work. Grabbed my Windows SP2 cd and it worked first try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
xp slipstream

What the previous respondants dont know is that you CAN make your own SP2 CD. Its called making a slipstream cd. You can google " slipstream cd sp2 windows xp" and it will come up with tons of sites that show you how to do it. The process is pretty standard from site to site. Only difference is how much do you need explained along the way.

Here are a few to get you started:
1. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626
2. http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297 (this one seems to be very detailed, it involves alot of downloading if you dont have stuff but seems to point to pretty much everything you'll need. It also has pics with numbered steps. VERY EASY TO FOLLOW)
3. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp (THIS ONE AS WELL... VERY EASY TO FOLLOW AND NOT AS MUCH TO DOWNLOAD)

This should get you an SP2 cd no problem. If you have any problems let me know.

A few recommendations first though. Read all 3 of those guides FIRST before doing anything. Do that so you get familiar with the process. They all vary just enough that if you read all 3, when you DO pick one, if you have a problem you'll have an idea of whats going on.

Also let it be noted that while you might have a friend with an actual SP2 XP install cd, your CD KEY will not work with it. The keys are different from SP1 to SP2. However slipstreaming your cd will solve that problem.

Good luck.
Bishop

::::::edit::::: Try to follow the #3 one first. Paul Thurrott might be a WinXP shill but he knows his stuff and his might be the easiest to follow with the most amount of extra links to explanations and stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Is that legal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
surfwax95 said:
Is that legal?

Of course it's legal. If you own XP you are entitled to SP2, and making a CD with it doesn't violate any license agreement. Heck, Microsoft will send you a CD with SP2 on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Yes it is TOTALLY legal. MSKB even has a page that tells you how to do it, but its way more complicated and no screen shots.

A

Annie

bishopazrael said:
Yes it is TOTALLY legal. MSKB even has a page that tells you how to do it, but its way more complicated and no screen shots.

Why can't you just go to the Windows Update website and download SP2 from there? I did and had no problems whatsoever.

Annie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Annie said:
Why can't you just go to the Windows Update website and download SP2 from there? I did and had no problems whatsoever.

Annie

You installed Windows XP through Boot Camp without an SP2 disc and it worked?

A

Annie

I am so sorry! I do not have boot camp and don't want it - I want to stay far away from Windows! LOL - I use a PC during the day for my job so that's enough for me. I was thinking on your PC you wanted to download SP2 - again I'm sorry - I misunderstood. This bootcamp stuff confuses me anyway! Microsoft will send you a SP2 cd for free tho as I have one. Good luck!

Annie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Annie said:
I am so sorry! I do not have boot camp and don't want it - I want to stay far away from Windows! LOL - I use a PC during the day for my job so that's enough for me. I was thinking on your PC you wanted to download SP2 - again I'm sorry - I misunderstood. This bootcamp stuff confuses me anyway! Microsoft will send you a SP2 cd for free tho as I have one. Good luck!

Annie

Ah, ok, that's what I thought you meant. Just making sure. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.