Doubts

A

Annie

My macbook is on its way and now I'm having doubts!! I've used PCs for well over 20 years. I am what I consider a very experienced user doing support of Windows for 11 years as my job. I was just looking at pc laptops and they are so much cheaper and I was just thinking wow, no worries - I know how to run those! And I can keep it virus free with virus software I have now plus a program called Process Guard that keeps out everything!! I've been reading and see from almost every website that the only reason macs are safer is because they have less users, as in it is not near as popular as windows. That got me to thinking - why are there a lot less users of Mac?? Does that mean something? Oh I don't know - I don't even want to take it out of the box if I don't want to switch but to have it sitting here would be so tempting. Don't slam me!! Just doubts.
Annie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
you only live once Annie..

My nextdoor neighbor had a heart attack two weeks ago and dies. ok he and his wife are an old couple but out the two he looked fit and healthy and she looked slummed.. but he went first. it woke me up that anything can happen and you can go at anytime, if you have an idea, do it.
if you got things to try.. dont worry about the cost just try it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
It's natural to have doubts. I had major buyer's remorse after I switched, but it was temporary. I've grown to love OS X and I can get around without having to look too many things up. Just think about why you decided to switch in the first place. And remember that if after a while you just don't like the MacBook, Macs have excellent resale value so you can probably get most of your money back. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
most people use PC's because they are used to it. Dont be afraid to think out side of the box, or perhaps think "right out of the box", meaning "you can use your Mac right out of the box" Windows may be familiar, but OSX is clean like you cannot imagine. everything is slick, makes sense, and just works! Do not fret, enjoy the Macbook when it arrives, and good luck.

OP
J

JKrouth

Think about this, a Mac has a higher resale value then a labtop pc. Try it and if you dont like it sell it. Chances are youll have enough money to get a labtop or something. I was in the same predicament but what i figured out was with OS X it kind of takes care of itself, you dont have to know all the ways to take care of it. Although Im sure it never hurts.

Also, from what I hear, Macs are extremely popular on college campuses right now. More popular then something but I cant remember....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Why are there a lot less users of Mac? A lot less people drive BMWs than GM's too, but that doesn't mean they are inferior.

These people who say that Macs are more secure because no one uses them have probably never even touched a Mac. How many Macs did Apple sell this quarter? 1.327 MILLION in just 3 months. Nearly 50% of Macs sold at Apple stores are bought by new users (switchers). We're out here, and we are not 'few'. And many Mac users are vocal that "Hey Macs can't get viruses!" If I were a virus writer, I'd show those Mac users how invulnerable they are, and write some viruses! Yet this hasn't happened. Yes, Macs can get viruses, but it is inherently a more secure system, and being a lower market share than PCs does help, but to say that this is the only reason the mac (OS X) has been virtually virus free is folly.

Security is not the only reason to get a Mac. OS X is the most advanced, easy to use, and powerful system I have used. Unix power, great UI, easy to use. I just like the way that OS X does things as compared to windows.

If you think that Windows is the best choice for you, then by all means get a Dell. Millions of people don't think Windows is the best choice and are switching to a Mac. Do what you think will work best for you.

OP
A

Annie

I know Unix very well. I worked in an IT department for 10 years and we supported 30 county cooperatives in our state and their systems were Unix systems (we wrote their software in Cobol - POS (point of sale) systems. They also used Windows for accounting purposes but I learned Unix commands very well. This should help, huh? I've seen Linux but never used it tho. After a good night's sleep I am going to keep it and try it long enough to learn the system, etc and am getting excited again - It has now left China and headed to the USA. I will feel much better once it hits the US so hopefully it won't take too long. Thanks!

Annie

OP
D

devo

PCs really aren't THAT much cheaper, i've found.. at least at the same quality level.
I feel that there are probably more cheap cruddy PCs available (think of the future-shop specials, MDG computers, etc.) once you get up to the ultra portable, ultra reliable brands/models, the prices are comparable -- or even more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
devo said:
PCs really aren't THAT much cheaper, i've found.. at least at the same quality level.
I feel that there are probably more cheap cruddy PCs available (think of the future-shop specials, MDG computers, etc.) once you get up to the ultra portable, ultra reliable brands/models, the prices are comparable -- or even more.
Thats exactly what I have found, sure you can go buy a Dell Insipron but if you have ever touched one you will understand why they are soo cheap. Everthing feels very cheap. If you move into the higher end Latitude line (which I use at work) they are a huge step up and I think closer in quailty to a MacBook (Pro). Personally if I was to buy a PC laptop I would look at getting a IBM first, Now thats a NICE laptop that IMO is on par with the MacBooks (Pro) quality.

I had doubts too before I bought my MacBook, but they were all forgoten as soon as I laid my hands on the box. Everything about the MacBook is just amazing, Apple really does their homework on building Computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
ThinkPads are easily the most well-built laptop on the market. You can drop those things down a flight of stairs and not even notice a hitch in performance. (Your screen might have snapped off, but that is besides the point :headphone )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
haha, I should edit my post to say Lenovo ThinkPad not IBM haha force of habit..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 256 Vid Card, 1 gig ram, 40 gig ipod, 4 gig nano, 512mb shuffle
NikBhat said:
ThinkPads are easily the most well-built laptop on the market. You can drop those things down a flight of stairs and not even notice a hitch in performance. (Your screen might have snapped off, but that is besides the point :headphone )

Haha so true, I got a T41 for all my engineering classes, I watch all the other people with dell's getting hardware replaced constantly. Not to mention the great tech service they have. Reminds me of apple's. I find myself lucky to have a Thinkpad and Imac, they play together so nicely, only if Windows behaved as well as OSX.

As for being on topic, When I got my Imac about 3 weeks ago i felt stupid for spending so much money on it because I couldn’t close Itunes for the update! I am use to the program closing when closed, not running in a dock somewhere :eek:neye: . By the end of the night I was looking at windows Xp like it was Windows ME all over again. Now whenever I work on windows for classes or something I consistently find myself cursing it for not working like OSX.

When you get your mac give yourself some time to get use to it then you will realize it really is better. I can't wait to show off my mac back at school to all my windows loving roomates. They consistantly bash it when they have never used one. :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I have an old IBM era thinkpad and a macbook, and they are both fantastic. The thinkpad is used by the kids (since they were aged 2) and as a result it literally has lumps of it missing, but it never skips a beat - just keeps chugging along. Never needed to replace any hardware, and the screen has 1 dead pixel, despite being used as a trampoline.

Reaction score
I had many doubts as I was ordering my Mac.

My doubts were erased once I got used to this Mac.

I love it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Hey Annie, Dont worry about the mac. Honestly like most of us switchers here, we all were a little in the dark on how exactly the experiance with a mac would be. It's typical. I mean going from something you are so familiar with to something new. Hey it happens. :)

The only advise I can share with you, is REALLY think about what or why you began to WANT a mac. What was it that made you want to research it? What was that determining factor? Was it the "style"? The reviews?

I, like many other switchers, fell in love with my mac. I will still use windows...but now, from a mac :mac: Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext
NikBhat said:

lol, aside from the mac the other laptop i really wanted was the genuine toughbook ( not he ruggedized laptops, but the ones with the built in handles). but they're really hard to find for individual consumers and they make apple's prices look like pocket change

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.