Optical Digital Audio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, so this Quad has Optical Audio out and in. The receiver/head unit I have hooked up to it currently does not, but I have another (the one attached to my TV) that does, but it's not being used there. I am currently running the Sound out from my Quad via a 1/8 inch headphone adaptor through the Audio Output on the back, to a set of RCA cables and then into the AUX in on the Receiver. the Receiver is driving 2 Bose satellite speakers, 2 Yamaha Bookshelf Speakers (daily use) and a Klipsch Sub-Woofer and Center Channel (for Movies).

If I go through the effort of swapping receivers, both are good quality Kenwoods, what benefits would I gain from the Optical Audio out/in with the Quad? Could I expect significantly better sound output? Since I also have a Turntable and Cassette deck hooked up to the receiver, could I expect significantly better sound for importing Vinyl and Tapes?

Has anyone else here turned to the Optical in/out at all? I just wondering if this is worth the half day of work to swap them around or if I should just forget about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't do optical in, but I do have optical out, and I do notice a difference between the optical and the mini jack. I am using a Dolby digital pro logic receiver that is also dts certified. I am glad I went optical and I think since you don't need to purchase anything I think it would be worth the time to change over.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I would have to get are the Optical Cables. Is the sound more crisp and clean with the Optical?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel that it is.. my studio is dobly digital certified but i am pretty sure that just a switching over to optical you will notice a difference. Remember when you get the optical cables you can not bend them they will be destroyed and they are very expensive... another thing to consider.. they don't clip into your system they just kind of rest there... another thing you need to have the audio system close to the tower the cables are not that long... good luck :)

L

Localoid

baggss said:
Could I expect significantly better sound output? Since I also have a Turntable and Cassette deck hooked up to the receiver, could I expect significantly better sound for importing Vinyl and Tapes?

In general, going D->D is always going to give you better "specs" simply because you avoid the D-to-A-and-A-to-D translation that would otherwise take place. The resulting sound would have less coloration (from D-A and A-D conversions) and less noise (from floor level, ground hum, etc.)

That said, how much "better" it sounds will depend on several factor, including your sound system/speakers and how your ears/brain hear sound. For example, to actually hear the difference between a -120db Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and a -132db SNR you got to have the sound levels really cranked up (through a high-power amp and have speakers able to reproduce high SPL's, etc.) This sort of difference is usually easier to hear on a set of $100-150 headphones vs most speakers costing $2000.00 simply because of the limitations of (any) speaker systems, etc.

Also, since you've mentioned some of your source material is from turntable and cassette, be aware of the limitations of those mediums. Cassettes, even with Dolby NR, isn't going to get much higher than 76db SNR, and turntables will always have some rumble, etc. Bottom line: going D-D isn't going to remove or lower the noise level already present in the source material.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input Localoid. I understand that this won't improve upon the "source material", but I assume it would give me better quality by removing any other interference from the outside.

The Receiver is sitting right next to my Quad in my desk, so I'm looking at maybe 3 to 3.5 Ft from the back of the receiver to the Quad at most. The cable is going to have to be able to make a sweeping/gentle curve to get from the receiver to the Quad. No 90 degree bends or anything even half that, but it's going to have to bend somewhat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah curves are fine, you buy it in the case with a very light curve. But if its not a curve and its a severe bend then the light can not pass through the wire, and you also damage the fibers inside. You should be fine.

L

Localoid

Many manufacturers of optical cables will provide a "bend radius" spec on their products, e.g., "Bend Radius greater than or equal to 17 mm", or
"Super flexible cable - ultra low bend radius (±45º)", etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.