Very slow airport extreme router

G

Grendel

I have a cable modem, an airport extreme base station, a dual 1.8 g5, and an ibook. Until today, everything was working very smoothly. We had a major lightning event where I live (florida) so I powered everything down and unplugged everything from the mains.

When I started everything up again, the internet was extremely slow. If I connect the G5 directly to the cable modem, everything is fine. But when I try and go through the airport extreme, it's painfully slow.

I've tried the latest firmware, a new ethernet cable, to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
try re-setting it back to factory defaults, then start adding security back to it slowly (one at a time)...

OP
G

Grendel

PowerBookG4 said:
try re-setting it back to factory defaults, then start adding security back to it slowly (one at a time)...

Thanks for the suggestion - I just tried it, along with just about everything else in the airport admin. utility, but it doesn't change the speed. I still get full speed via the cable modem directly, but whatever I try with the airport slows everything down considerably.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i wonder if its the router itself or the wireless card.. trying sharing the internet from the powermac after that is plugged into the dsl and see if its fast from the ibook. just a quick suggestion, never hurts to rule something out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.