have some questions....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Im looking for someone who know about networks (PC to Mac). Instead of filling up a thread, can someone contact me via IM

MrFury1980@yahoo

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The whole point of having a thread is so that others may access this info simply by searching, so I think it'd be better to post the useful info that you find.

:)

OP
evolve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
ok, well I guess I just dont know about networking. I have a windows machine (wifey's) and I use the mac. The Cable modem and Router are all mainly connected to the PC.

When i click on "network" from my mac and locate the netork i set up, I have to put in a password. The router is wirless (but I have it all connected via ethernet) Questions is, can anyone close by access my network? wirelessly? if so, will they have to know the password? I guess i want to know if its secure.

Like I said, I have never used a home network before so I hope i set it up right and securely. i just played around with it some more, and figured out I can access my "slave" drive from my PC via the network. (pretty cool, being its internal) You guys already know all about networking so I probably sound like an infant right about now :). any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Unless they know your WEP/WPA password, they won't be able to access it.

As far as Windows/Mac file sharing goes, as long as the drives/folders on the Windows PC are set to shared, you should be able to access them no problem, as long as you can connect to that particular Windows PC. Also, you must have your Mac to join the same workgroup as your PC. You can do this by going into your Mac HDD > Applications > Utilities > Directory Access. It's the last option where you can change the workgroup that your Mac will access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext
if i understand right you want to disable the wireless access?
for most routers you log in to their control panel (use ie/safari/firefox to browse to the ip adress by typing in the adress bar, i think it usually is 192.168.1.1) then there should be an option to disable it, and for encryption if you later decide to use it

best of luck

edit: yeah if you have a password on it then they'll need to know it, but if you're not using it better to be safe than sorry and disable it, 'cause it can be cracked

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Mod note: Moving thread, needed a better home. :eek:

OP
evolve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
punkr0x0r said:
Unless they know your WEP/WPA password, they won't be able to access it.

As far as Windows/Mac file sharing goes, as long as the drives/folders on the Windows PC are set to shared, you should be able to access them no problem, as long as you can connect to that particular Windows PC. Also, you must have your Mac to join the same workgroup as your PC. You can do this by going into your Mac HDD > Applications > Utilities > Directory Access. It's the last option where you can change the workgroup that your Mac will access.

I figured out about the "shared" option on windows. Now about this workgroup thing...what exactly is it, and what will it allow me to do? (sorry im dumb on this topic.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.