• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing .mpg files....

J

joeKing7

Ok, here's the deal...I got a mac because I love to edit movies. I got most of my footage from transfering them from my old PC...they are all .mpg format...and they can't be changed. I got VLC and Divx (doctor too) so I can PLAY the videos on my machine....HOWEVER, when I open iMovie, it will not allow me to import the mpg files because it can't be opened in quicktime (or something like that).

Now i usually use adobe premiere to edit (which I will be getting soon) and im also thinking about getting Final Cut Pro. Does anyone with a mac know if the same problem occurs in these programs?

Thanks for any help...

OP
J

joeKing7

ALSO I should mention that mpg files that play in VLC seem to have the wrong "time"...I mean video files that should be 11 min long are only 4 mins or so according to the player...whats up with that?

OP
J

joeKing7

okay maybe im not asking the right place...can someone tell me who can answer this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext
that forum is probably best,
but we had this problem in my commtech, and i think we got 'round it by opening the file in quicktime and then exporting as a different format (i know .dv works, but i think it's pretty big) but if you try different formats, i'm sure you'll find something that works

good luck

edit: sorry, didn't realize you'd said it couldnt be opened in quicktime

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Mod note: Moving thread to a better forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.