Mac mail not sending attachments correctly

P

Pixelpyro

My mail application seems to have stopped sending -.gif and .jpg files as attachements, I can send anything else and if I send say a word doc and a gif they both arrive.

The gif/jpg is visible in the body of the email but isn't an attachment no matter how I attach it.

Initially I thought it may be a compression problem but have sent older files that have always been okay and they also don't arrive "attached" - I also thought it may be the recipient email client but have sent to both outlook and thunderbird on 2 different PCs and same problem.

It's doing my head in - any ideas.....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
So you are saying. That the visible attachments don't arrive at the reciever as an attachment?

OP
P

Pixelpyro

That is correct but only with gif / jpg formats - if they are sent with say a .pdf they seem to arrive okay and can be downloaded

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
what mail program are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
I'm having exactly the same problem. When I send an email to one of the PC's on our network the jpg image will become embedded in the email. It can be viewed at the other end but cannot be saved or dragged from the email.

My problem is that we upgraded our network at the same time as the 10.4.6 upgrade so I'm not sure which is to blame.

I'm using a G5 running OSX 10.4.7 with Mail 2.1. An identical G5 but running OSX 10.3.9 is working fine.

See: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=238273#post238273

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
I think I've found a solution, hope it works for you as well.

I first made sure that the application set to open jpgs was Preview within Get Info. Then I turned off the Optimize option in the Save For Web feature of Photoshop. As I said, hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Per a previous post on this, try out Thunderbird. I sent jpgs all the time with no issues.

Reaction score
I had the same problem and thought it was the pc's stupid Vista and Orifice 2007 Outlook mail. PROBLEM SOLVED thanks to this thread. Plain text is the way to go - rich text causes the files (jpg's etc) to be embedded into Outlook and then not be able to be opened. Many thanks to whoever posted the simple solution :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 2005. 6.5 GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8. Macbook 2.4 GHz core 2 Duo, 2 GB, OS X 10.5.8
Yeah I am getting the same problem. sending jpgs to clients and they recieve them as imbedded images (which is lower res than the original jpg) and not as an attachment they can just download. when i have cc'd myself into the email (using another email address I have) i recieve the attachment fine. I have tried every setting on the mail options, tried using plain text (which I don't really want to do as it ruins the hyperlinks in the signature) and even tried using thunderbird....
having looked through the archive of questions and threads I can't see an answer but I am hoping that as these threads are a bit old things have changed.
anyone have any new / up to date information on this. my mac mail version is 3.6
cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.