Switching to Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Hey everyone, I'm new here to these forums.
I currently have an iMacG5 (the 17" 2gig model with 1.5gig ram), that I use mainly for Final Cut Pro (not studio). I make short films to add to my portfolio (part of the application process to many film/grad schools in creative arts), and short documentaries for my local church.

My main question is, would any of you recommend the switch from the iMacG5 to the new Macbooks? The reason why I want to go Macbook is because space is a factor for me. I know iMacG5 is an entire computer in a LCD screen, and it literally is a space saving design, but I already have a PC that takes up a lot of space in my small apartment room.
I don't run photoshop or other apps, I just mainly use Final Cut Pro, with the occasional AIM and Firefox/Safari and iTunes.
The length of the movies I edit rarely exceeds past 20 minutes. And it's not like I edit movies every day, realistically about 3-4 10-20minute shorts a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you are selling your other computer on the 36th of july????

at first i was going to say keep the imac, but if you need the space and dont do that much editing then i say go for the macbook PRO, the reason i say pro is that it will be a lil faster, but i seriously think you could be fine with either of them
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
coach_z said:
you are selling your other computer on the 36th of july????
Why not?
I sold one on the 33rd of February before.

OP
leecho7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Yeah, I have a project that I'm finishing up a project this weekend, and am going to put my iMac for sale Monday if all else goes right. The reason I want the Macbook and not the Pro is because of the price.
I do most of my photoshop and graphics intensive apps on my PC. With the iMac it was strictly capturing footage, and editing it. I'm a simple type of guy, I don't need fancy graphics or special effects in my movies since 99% of them are documentaries anyway. As for screen size, it doesn't matter to me personally, plus I have a 19" lcd monitor laying around just in case.

I'm reading a lot of problems with the Macbooks/Pro's however. I guess I should wait a little longer for Apple to release a new revision or something?

That is an error in my sig, I meant 31st of July.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
a thought: sell your pc, sell your imac....buy an imac that is all pimped out, save you TONS of room on your desk, you can then run both windows and osx etcetcetc.
-chris

OP
leecho7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually use my pc for heavy duty gaming too, like Oblivion and Battlefield 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, you could do that on a new 20" imac with a 256MB graphics card, but that's besides the point I guess :)

I say go for it - you can always hook the macbook up to your pc monitor if you need more screen space for editing, and the macbook will run your apps really well (the Pro would not bring you any significant performance benefits for your type of work).

OP
leecho7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why settle with 256mb when I have an Ati Crossfire setup with x1900xtxs? ;)

Mac is strictly productive stuff for me. :p

I might actually save up a bit longer and wait a bit and invest in a Pro. But I'll have to see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.