External DVD

Reaction score
I have an internal DVD+/-RW drive, 16x speed. I was wondering if I could get an external enclosure for the device to connect to my MacBook via USB 2.0?

I know they make them for the hard drive, but what about for CD/DVD drives? I rather pay the 30-40 bucks for the enclosure then buy an external unit for a few hundred, especially since i'm not using this drive at the moment.

Reaction score
Yes they do make them for dvd drives, I'm using one myself. Just go to your local comp store and ask for them, they're relatively cheap and easy to install yourself.

OP
U
Reaction score
okay cool.. any specific brands you prefer? I read some reviews that some of the USB ones are bad - not being able to hold a connection

Reaction score
I'm just using a generic one by Sonic. I haven't had any problems with it running on usb 2.

OP
U
Reaction score
cjay said:
Yes they do make them for dvd drives, I'm using one myself. Just go to your local comp store and ask for them, they're relatively cheap and easy to install yourself.

checked around and no one has them in stock...lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.