New MacBook! 1st Mod!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got a black Macbook this weekend. 2ghz 1gb ram! This baby is sweet!

Just wanted to share my 1st mod with you all!

dsc03727mediumzo6.jpg

dsc03726mediumfb4.jpg

And here's a close up!

dsc03722mediumeb7.jpg

:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

How did you do that? Just with some red filter paper?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
Do I smell Photoshop?

OP
A
Reaction score
That is not photoshop. I haven't installed it on my Macbook yet. ;)

It's actually red filter paper. I went to Kinkos and printed out a red page on transparency and got behind the LCD screen and taped it up behind there.

There's actually a translucent white filter already in there. I cut that out and used 2 layers of the red. 1 layer and it looked a bit too pink for my tastes!
I like it a lot. When there's light out, the Apple looks white with a tinge of red. But when it's dark out... It's sick!

Reaction score
awesome!

but as far as I know that voids the warranty :( there was a thread about that here not too long ago

OP
A
Reaction score
You have to remove the plastic which surrounds the front face of the lcd. It's attached by clips surrounding the entire plastic. Then there are I believe 8 small screws that attach the LCD face to the display housing. After you take those off the display can be hinged down onto the keyboard area (you can't remove it of course, since it's connected to the logic board).

After that you'll have access to the Apple logo.

I took my time with it. The plastic surrounding the lcd is rather thin and the clips on it are fragile. Things to watch out for:

- There's a magnet on the left of the screen which isn't attached to anything really. There's a spot in the display housing for it. Make sure it doesn't fall out and you lose it. I looked online and it's the magnet that activates the lcd off/sleep function when you close the lcd.
- The plastic surrounding the lcd is attached with double stick foam on the bottom left and right corners, and also where the mic is located. Just slowly peel it away and it'll come off.
- The screws are soft so you don't need to use much torque or you will strip them. The right size screwdriver is key.

I think that's about it....

Overall, pretty easy mod and I'm more than happy w/ the results!

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments!

About the warranty, I doubt it will void my warranty since I didn't really alter any of the electricals or anything. I didn't unplug anything or cut any wires or anything like that. So.... They'd have to prove that I damaged something anyways. Either way. I can remove the filter paper anytime anyways if I have to bring it to the store.

I'm not afraid of any warranty issues. I don't blame you if you are. Things can happen and you could damage something. All i can say is don't try it if you have the slightest bit of concern that you can't do it.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
I tried something similar recently with a White MacBook I have a few sweet wrappers of green and red temporaly stuck down to the outside to see what the Apple would look like Red with a Green leaf. On a white MB it's a little too colourful and xmasy.

Looking at yours though it suits very well. Nice one.

Reaction score
symondavis said:
I tried something similar recently with a White MacBook I have a few sweet wrappers of green and red temporaly stuck down to the outside to see what the Apple would look like Red with a Green leaf. On a white MB it's a little too colourful and xmasy.

Looking at yours though it suits very well. Nice one.

I wanted to do mine in blue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Blue would be sweet.

My thoughts on doing this kinda thing is to use a translucent sticky backed plastic over the top of the Apple. Then you wont need to open the case up.
Just remember to push the air out as you apply, like you would on a PDA screen protector.
Then use a sharp craft knife to etch around the Apple carefully and remove all the surplus colour. Luckily there is a sort of lip around the Apple to follow.

OP
A
Reaction score
I thought about putting it on the outside. But... I ordered my Invisible Shield already and am waiting on that to come in. It won't work with that on the top. I seen some other posts with different colors on white. Just didn't look right to me either.

Although, if you could make the Apple logo black on a white Macbook it would look good. Blue on white will go well together too.

Red and black just go together. I knew i wanted to do this when I bought my computer. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
looks sick! blue would be killer for the white macbook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
ak1nza said:
Thanks for the compliments!

About the warranty, I doubt it will void my warranty since I didn't really alter any of the electricals or anything. I didn't unplug anything or cut any wires or anything like that. So.... They'd have to prove that I damaged something anyways. Either way. I can remove the filter paper anytime anyways if I have to bring it to the store.

Not to burst your bubble since that is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while, but opening your Mac in any way other than the predesignate access points (HDD, RAM Battery etc) does void your warranty. If you take that Mac to Apple for some help they'll tell you your SOL.

Again, WAY cool mod there!

OP
A
Reaction score
Not bursting any bubbles here. Don't worry.

I'll deal with any warranty issues when they come up. Like I said. I did this at my own discretion and my own risk.

Regardless. Thanks for the kind words!

Reaction score
baggss said:
Not to burst your bubble since that is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while, but opening your Mac in any way other than the predesignate access points (HDD, RAM Battery etc) does void your warranty. If you take that Mac to Apple for some help they'll tell you your SOL.

Again, WAY cool mod there!

going OT, but if he took off what he just installed, there would be no way of knowing (apple) that he had taken it apart...

there were no stickers that said 'if you remove this, it will void warranty' stuff when you did this right? mostly everything was clip-based...

i dont think they would know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
And to be honest, unless it was an issue with the screen, I think most technicians would just look the other way...

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes taseal, you are right. There were no "warranty void if removed" stickers that I removed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
ak1nza said:
You have to remove the plastic which surrounds the front face of the lcd. It's attached by clips surrounding the entire plastic. Then there are I believe 8 small screws that attach the LCD face to the display housing. After you take those off the display can be hinged down onto the keyboard area (you can't remove it of course, since it's connected to the logic board).

After that you'll have access to the Apple logo.

I took my time with it. The plastic surrounding the lcd is rather thin and the clips on it are fragile. Things to watch out for:

- There's a magnet on the left of the screen which isn't attached to anything really. There's a spot in the display housing for it. Make sure it doesn't fall out and you lose it. I looked online and it's the magnet that activates the lcd off/sleep function when you close the lcd.
- The plastic surrounding the lcd is attached with double stick foam on the bottom left and right corners, and also where the mic is located. Just slowly peel it away and it'll come off.
- The screws are soft so you don't need to use much torque or you will strip them. The right size screwdriver is key.

I think that's about it....

Overall, pretty easy mod and I'm more than happy w/ the results!

Thanks for the info, I am going to be doing this on my White MacBook this week, I figure blue should look pretty good.

OP
A
Reaction score
Noxian said:
Thanks for the info, I am going to be doing this on my White MacBook this week, I figure blue should look pretty good.

PM me if you got any questions. More than happy to help. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.