New MacBook! 1st Mod!

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I like it, it has got me think about what could be done to the MBP. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz MBP C2D
Thanks for the compliments!

About the warranty, I doubt it will void my warranty since I didn't really alter any of the electricals or anything. I didn't unplug anything or cut any wires or anything like that. So.... They'd have to prove that I damaged something anyways. Either way. I can remove the filter paper anytime anyways if I have to bring it to the store.

I'm not afraid of any warranty issues. I don't blame you if you are. Things can happen and you could damage something. All i can say is don't try it if you have the slightest bit of concern that you can't do it.

:)

Doesn't matter if you didn't alter it, the fact that you opened up the notebook voids your warranty...Still though, it looks dope!

Reaction score
I just wanted to add a few things that people should know if they intend to do this mod.
I got a brand new macbook in may 2007. Its a 2.16Ghz machine. I decided to do this mod.

Other people have mentioned, that when removing the screen assemby a magnet on the left hand side of the screen is not held in by anything, and so can be fiddly to get it to sit how it orginally was before removing the screen assembly. Others have also mentioned that the screws are quite small and soft, so it requires time and a very small screwdriver.

Three things I would like to add to this body of knowledge are as follows:-

a) when removing the thin plastic bezel that surrounds the screen it is attached to the screen assembly beneath by plastic clips. These plastic clips are small grey clips that hold the bexel and then themselves clip into the metal screen assembly. If your macbook is anything like mine, it doesn't matter how carefully you try and unclip the screen bezel, the grey clips pop out and unclip as well. This means once you have removed the screen bezel, you have about 16 small grey clips you have to try and carefully clip back into the screen assembly. This is diffuclt to do without mangling them.

b) I found that once I had removed the bezel and then clipped it completely back on after the mod, it seemed to not sit as flat as before, especially in the bottom corners of the screen, it flaired out a very small amount. It would be a good idea to have some double sided 3M tape handy to apply in this area.

c) once you have opened the screen up, you can then cut away the first piece of film behind the logo. But this does not mean that after this the logo will be completely transparent, as it has a backing on itself that is opqaue. This can be good as the logo will seem to be a off-white when not lit from behind, but once the macbook is on, it illumniates the new colour you have added. But depending on the colour it can end up that you have a much less bright light, and only a tint of your colour added.

My thoughts after doing the mod is that you really have to want to stand out to both with this, and the disadvantages of opening up you macbook, could quite possibly out-weigh the wow factor you get from your new mod. If you deem yourself a bit clumsy or impatient don't do this mod. But now you know all the possible pitfalls.

Sorry about the long post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I wold like to mention that even our apple certified technicians at work consider the Macbook screen the hardest part to replace or repair on any of the current Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
I took my screen apart without the little grey clips off. I used a very blunt knife to slide gently along the bezel then when it stopped on a clip just a little gentle twist and up it popped. the screws weren't a problem either. I used a sharp knife to initially start them turning then used a screw driver to remove. The ones I found annoying were the little blighter's near the magnets when putting them back in.

I found that I needed extra layers of the coloured plastic film that I used to get the red not looking too pink. But my green leaf was just fine with 1 layer.

But after 20 minutes I was left with a lovely red apple and a green leaf.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz 1 GB
Transparency

All right, I'm doing this. This is just too cool, and my warranty just ran out. My Whitebook will soon have a blue Apple logo.

I don't know what Kinko's is (I live in Sweden), and I'm not sure where to obtain colored transparency. Perhaps I could just print it myself using my inkjet, but I'm worried about the quality.. Is Kinko's a print shop? In that case, I suppose I could go to a print shop here in .se and ask them to make me a blue transparency.

Anyway, I'll be back with a pic of the result. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
I think Kinkos is something to do with fedex supplies just from a google search. But even though this is an old thread that was a well good mod i like lots

Reaction score
I took my screen apart without the little grey clips off. I used a very blunt knife to slide gently along the bezel then when it stopped on a clip just a little gentle twist and up it popped. the screws weren't a problem either. I used a sharp knife to initially start them turning then used a screw driver to remove. The ones I found annoying were the little blighter's near the magnets when putting them back in.

I found that I needed extra layers of the coloured plastic film that I used to get the red not looking too pink. But my green leaf was just fine with 1 layer.

But after 20 minutes I was left with a lovely red apple and a green leaf.

Where's the pictures? This sounds nice!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
All right, I'm doing this. This is just too cool, and my warranty just ran out. My Whitebook will soon have a blue Apple logo.

I don't know what Kinko's is (I live in Sweden), and I'm not sure where to obtain colored transparency. Perhaps I could just print it myself using my inkjet, but I'm worried about the quality.. Is Kinko's a print shop? In that case, I suppose I could go to a print shop here in .se and ask them to make me a blue transparency.

Anyway, I'll be back with a pic of the result. :)

Yep, Kinkos is a copy/print shop, but just about any copy shop will be able to help you with the transparencies.

Reaction score
Has anyone used the ones from icolors? Just wondering if they were any good, and if they are a good colour when lit up?!

Reaction score
Stink!

All my grey bits came off with the screen bezel!

...and get this; I got through all the screws, until I got to the last one- which wouldn't come out. I tried everything, but it just wouldn't budge! So now I can't even change the colour of the logo :(

So now I have voided my warranty for no reason and all my grey bits are stuck to my screen bezel- so I have an open LCD display- lol :s

I feel quiet sick now!

Any ideas on what to do about the screen bezel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I take it you didn't read my previous post in this thread then...

I wold like to mention that even our apple certified technicians at work consider the Macbook screens the hardest part to replace or repair on any of the current Macs.

I say try to get it back together as best as you can or take it to a certified repair technician.

Reaction score
sweet mod. i decided to copy your idea but i did mine in blue (on a black mac book) one problem though, as i was removing the white filter that was already on there, i nicked what seems like paint on the back side of whatever the logo is made out of and a tiny hole is visible if you look at it closley. any ideas on how to fix that. but any way, sweet mod and very good idea. here is a picture of mine. no wait, i cant get the camera not to flash so no pic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
pics please? I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I wanted to spend my money on the RAM upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
get the ram... come on... RAM or a colored apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook (W) 2.16ghz 2gb w/ XP
might have to try this, my macbook white is a little plain these days

ps, sorry for bring back an old thread :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.