• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Question About Internet In Dorms

I

iRizzo

Hey everybody I will be heading off to Arizona State University this fall and had a question about connecting to the internet. I was lucky enough to get into a BRAND NEW dorm that is still being built as we speak. Anyways, I'm not quite sure how the whole internet connection works there. I have a MBP with AirPort. I was wondering if maybe I can bring my router and connect wirlessly that way? I found out my roomate is also a Mac user and will be bringing his Macbook. I don't want to have to fight over the internet all the time ya know? So what do you guys think? Thanks. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
well if he has a macbook and you have a MBP i say bring a wireless router and share the connetion or directly connect one of your laptops and share your internet connection to the other. You can do that in Sys. Prefs---- sharing----internet tab----share connection from ethernet to airport. Those are the two options i can see! Good luck at college

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Chances the school will need your mac address if you are going to connect to their network. Call the school and see if they will tell what type of network is being installed in the new building. Then you will know if you will need the wireless router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I visited ASU a few years ago... and as I remember there were 2 plugs in each room. and...

most dorms in general, especially new ones will have more than one ethernet plug. Usually 1 on each side. You shouldn't have to worry about fighting for internet, unless ASU changed their networking.

OP
I

iRizzo

Well I also have a Xbox 360 and Xbox Live account. Can I bring my router and connect it somehow to the ethernet port and have my mbp connected to the internet and at the same time play on Xbox Live?? That is what I have going on at my house right now. Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
If you have an ethernet plug in the wall and you have a router, you should be able to to plug into the router just like at your house. In some of the classrooms at my school we have ethernet plugs in all of the walls and have routers connecting all of the computers, Arizona State shouldnt be much different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
iRizzo said:
Well I also have a Xbox 360 and Xbox Live account. Can I bring my router and connect it somehow to the ethernet port and have my mbp connected to the internet and at the same time play on Xbox Live?? That is what I have going on at my house right now. Thanks for the replies.

Well your probably going to have to log into the schools network to access it. So you will have to send the connection through your mbp to the xbox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Graphite said:
Well your probably going to have to log into the schools network to access it. So you will have to send the connection through your mbp to the xbox

That depends on the school. At UC Santa Cruz you just plug in and it works. There isn't any login.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
iRizzo said:
Don't I need an actual Cable Modem to connect my router to?

No, just a CAT5 cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
iRizzo said:
Don't I need an actual Cable Modem to connect my router to?
No I would not think so, your already on thier network thats got internet so you just need to connect to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.