Does Ram improve performace dramatically?

Reaction score
I bought the 512 ram macbook and i was wondering how much of a difference does ram make. Is it worth the upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yes.

In every way, RAM will improve the performance of your computer.

I'd recommend RamJet. There RAM is quality stuff and very inexpensive. I've ordered from them on three different occasions and each one has been pleasant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
it does make a difference. I lucked out though. the people at the Apple Store gave me an additional 512MB ram upgrade for free! I have 1gig now. :)

Reaction score
evolve said:
it does make a difference. I lucked out though. the people at the Apple Store gave me an additional 512MB ram upgrade for free! I have 1gig now. :)

no way? thats awesome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
taseal said:
no ****? thats awesome

yeah! It was pretty cool. When I went into the Apple Store (keep in mind I had never owned an Apple, nor been in a Apple store) I heard about the education discount thing. It just so happened that the guy helping me was the store manager and I told him that my wife was in college. (She was, then stopped going) she told him that she didnt have her ID on her and the manager said "no problem". Then I explained how My brother-in-law bought a iBook from them about a month ago and someone upgraded his ram to 1gig and just simply asked him if they could do the same for me. He agreed and the rest is history! I have to say it was a GREAT first experiance for a "switcher". :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
more ram = more programs that can run at the same time = smooth , faster multi-tasking.

:D

1g is becoming the norm and soon to be min. now a days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mathiau said:
more ram = more programs that can run at the same time = smooth , faster multi-tasking.

:D

1g is becoming the norm and soon to be min. now a days.

This is True.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz Macbook, 2gb RAM, Mighty Mouse
Two gigs work great in a Macbook.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also besides all the other good comments above, if you are using older applications that run under Rosetta, most people say things under Rosseta run a LOT faster with more RAM.

OP
N
Reaction score
Sweet sweet. Thanks for the tips, ill definitely be looking into upgrading the ram.

Reaction score
It's surprising how Mac OS X sort of manages with just 512 MB, when you check the system monitor, it'll tell you there's a good 50 MB free RAM left. I upgrade to 1.5 GB and the OS adapted to use all of it propotionally and i still have just 80 MB free :)

I know it's a simple obvious thing but I still like to marvel at technology.

Reaction score
Ram only helps if you can actually use it. Personally, I would say I only end up using an amount of memory greater than 1GB about 10% of the time I am working on my computer. Anything above 2GB for me would be complete overkill for me because I would never use that much.

Depending on what you do 512MB might be good enough, but I still think 1GB is a nice healthy amount to have. Also, it is cheap enough now days that its not so bad to have a little extra.

K

Katie

RAM improves performance for sure. if you have the extra money, get at least 1 gig!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
And searching drastically improves your Forum Perfomance.
:black:

Reaction score
1 gig seems to be plenty, but i opted for the 2gb.. it was only like 30-40 bucks more. I went with Giga Ram and love it.. It improved a lot even with just loading basic apps. My g/f has the 1gb and it improved it too.. the 2gig is just if you do lots of images and video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
D3v1L80Y said:
And searching drastically improves your Forum Perfomance.
:black:

lolololol

and more ram will only speed up your computer if you are currently using all of it all of the time.

-chris

Reaction score
well I can put it this way... right now I have firefox, adium, limeware, itunes, mail activity monitor, and 4 yahoo widgets running... with 512, the computer would really start slowing down now, and I would have to close something to speed it up, because it would get 'annoying' slow on a 'fast' computer... with this setup, I would have about 6 mb of 'free' ram...

right now with 2 gigs, I have all those things mentioned opened and computer is running smooth as ****.... not to mention I ahve 846mb ram 'free' and 738 'inaactive' which is just there for the open apps... os i can prolly run PS right now on top of all this and it would still run decent unless i'm doing some REAL heavy editing with HUGE pictures :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
the more ram you have, i think the way OS X is coded, the more it will use, which is nice as it will improve over all the O/S with less Vm writes to the HD.

if your a photoshop user or any graphics user, 2G is a sweet spot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.