Disable Sleep Mode

Reaction score
I just got a new Mac Book Pro and at times would like to use an external monitor instead of the notebook's screen. The external monitor works fine and the mode can be adjusted in Preferences. So far so good.

Due to space limitations, however, I need to close the cover on the MBP to see the screen on the external monitor. But when the cover is closed on the MPB the notebook goes into sleep mode.

Is there any way to disable the sleep mode when the notebook cover is closed?

Thanks for any help.

OP
C
Reaction score
Didn't Work

CShannon said:
Thanks, I knew there was a simple answer. I was using an external mouse but did not attach an external keyboard while testing the external monitor.

I plugged a mouse and keyboard directly into the MPB with the external monitor in "mirror" mode. When the lid of the MPB was closed both displays turned off.

There must me another setting to prevent the notebook from sleeping when the lid is closed. I'll keep looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
CShannon said:
I plugged a mouse and keyboard directly into the MPB with the external monitor in "mirror" mode. When the lid of the MPB was closed both displays turned off.

There must me another setting to prevent the notebook from sleeping when the lid is closed. I'll keep looking.
Until you move the mouse... then it will wake up. At least it should.

OP
C
Reaction score
Got It To Work!

D3v1L80Y said:
Until you move the mouse... then it will wake up. At least it should.

I finally found the right answer on Apple's site. Why didn't I do there in the first place?

Yes, you do have to click the mouse to activate the external monitor, but they also indicated you need to have the AC power adaptor connected to the MPB. Obviously since you are using an AC powered external monitor, you have AC power available and therefore should use it to power the notebook.

All very logical and reasonable!

Thanks again for your interest and help!

P.S. I'm new to the MPB but also have a PPC iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
also plug it in beause the monitor will drain the battery real quick
-chris

Reaction score
I think it might be worth mentioning that the external keyboard and mouse MUST BOTH be wired and not connect via bluetooth or any other wireless means.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro
Any Way to Disable Sleep Mode Without a keyboard and monitor

Hi, I was wondering if there was anyway to close my laptop and not have it go into sleep mode. I live in very tight quarters and I have been leaving it open with the screen dimmed but I feel like a accident could happen very easily. Is there anyway I could could close it and disable sleep mode? All helps appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Reaction score
Actually...you "can" do this with bluetooth devices as well. You need to change one setting in your preferences (step 4). Here are the steps with an external monitor as well as a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on a Bluetooth enabled Apple portable:

1. Make sure the computer is plugged in to an outlet using the AC power adapter.

2. Verify that Bluetooth is turned on by using the Bluetooth pane of System Preferences or the Bluetooth menu icon.

3. Pair your Bluetooth keyboard or mouse with the computer. For step-by-step instructions, see this article for keyboard pairing or see this article for mouse pairing.

4. In System Preferences, be sure that the Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer option is selected.

5. With the computer turned on connect the Apple portable (using the appropriate Apple adapter if necessary) to the appropriate port on the external display or projector and turn the display or projector on.

6. Once your computer's Desktop appears on the external display, close the computer's lid.

7. Once it's closed, wake the computer up by either clicking your Bluetooth mouse button or by pressing a key on your Bluetooth keyboard.

Reaction score
no

All very logical and reasonable!

And also wrong. This doesn't work. I have a nearly new MBP (5,2), and the computer goes to sleep when you close the lid and doesn't wake for mouse clicks.

Even better, if you try this and then reopen the computer, the computer's screen will remain black... ah, there's a big defect here: If you close the computer, it goes to sleep. If then click the mouse, nothing happens. But if you then reopen the computer, the external screen comes back on but the computer's doesn't.

You can then close the computer again and the external screen stays on. However, there's no apparent way to get the computer screen to work again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.