iphoto help - only thumbnails left

P

pruzac

I think I probably know the answer to this but desparate so here goes. Backing up iPhoto I copied all the files to ex hard drive then deleted from hard drive. Should have checked but for some reason it's only copied the thumbnails. Have I lost ALL my photos or is there some way to recover from the info on the thumbnails?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
What directories within the iPhoto folder have been copied? The 'Data' directory only contains thumbnails. The 'Originals' and 'Modified' directories contain the original and edited versions of images respectively.

OP
P

pruzac

I copied all of the iPhoto library files but the only thing on the ex hard drive now are the files marked "thumbnails" i.e. no originals or actual jpegs of the photos. I don't imagine it is possible but I wondered if there was a slim chance of "recreating" the originals from the thumbnails. It's frustrating being able to see all of my lost photos as thumbnails but not being able to expand them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Sadly no, you can't recreate the originals from the thumbnails, only the other way around :)

It might be worth searching through the directory structure with finder or even at the command line to see if there are any .jpg files lurking in an unexpected place?

OP
P

pruzac

As I suspected - I've tried the search facility and checked out various folders but nothing coming up. Something's happened in the back up process and I think I'm going to have to accept losing 2,000 photos. Lesson learned always check up backup successful. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
I just went into iPhoto and realized that all of my pictures are just thumbnails and not the actual picture. I cant believe this happened I had some great photos in there. I wish I could get them back since I had some in there of my great grandfather who died last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
This is why TIME MACHINE will be so amazing..even for me, there has been 2 instances today itself where i thought * wish i could just go back in time and not undo what i did*

Leopard will rock

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.