MacBook = Core 2 Duo ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
Hello all,

I know that with Imac you can drop in a Merom cpu (the new conroe) with out a hitch.

But are they still soldering in the CPU in their laptops - MacBook's?

i would love to get the lowest MacBook 13" and just do my own upgrades for considerably cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
it is, according to this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
I said give Core 2 Duo some time.
While performance tests show what beast it is, you must remember that reviewers receive the best of the best. I personally will wait at least a year before I jump unto Core 2 Duo. By then anyway there will be Kentsfield (qaud core). I wonder when this will end (hope never...:D )

Reaction score
BlueBacchus said:
I said give Core 2 Duo some time.
While performance tests show what beast it is, you must remember that reviewers receive the best of the best. I personally will wait at least a year before I jump unto Core 2 Duo. By then anyway there will be Kentsfield (qaud core). I wonder when this will end (hope never...:D )

its exactly what you said

it will never ever end.... by then AMD will come out with some funky CPU and then, intell will try to beat it and some with somethign else and so on...

you cant keep up with technology...

If core 2 duo comes out by xmas, i will upgrade, if not I will not :)

OP
Mathiau
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
it will always be back and forth, but buying something now when the new tech is out is diff, but intel was down and behind for almost 3 years and AMD stuck with the same architecture, and according to Intel future plans, Intel may be ahead for a good 2+ years.

Sure if it was a few months off i would jump on a macbook now no questions.

Core 2 is supposed to be in stores in 2 days (fingers crossed for thos who are waiting) and some people do own retails version on some forums i visit so i have seen the real life results, not just canned intel bench;s :)

I just like the freedom to change my cpu :( as this laptop will be doing boot camp and become my main system for work and play (so i can ditch this 10LB dell inspiron)

i have been playing with a toshiba core duo 1.66ghz with a 1g of ram, but it just doesnt respond as i am used to (spoiled by my dual core 840 3.2ghz system) but also knowing how much more efficient OS X is, it may run better.

will the current MacBook's support leopard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.