PC user new to iBook G4

D

decon

Hey all,

I've been using PCs since IBM had their PCjr.

I'm very interested in purchasing the 12.1" iBook G4.

I have a few questions:

1) How hard will be my transition from Windows to Mac OS? I will be mainly using it to internet browse, word processing, and DVD viewing.

2) The tech specs says Microsoft Office 4.X Test Drive is included, why does the powerbook come with Microsoft Office 5.X? Can I view my PC .doc files on an iBook?

3) Does the Airport Extreme Card support my current linksys wireless 54G router?

4) Any tips?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1) Since you are just doing the basiscs i would say after a few days of using the iBook you will be comfortable

2) I am not sure why they include whatever version it is but you can just uninstall that since Panters program TextEdit can view and edit pc .doc files

3) Yep the airport extreme supports any router pretty much. I dont have the extreme in my powerbook but i have the regular airport to a linksys 802.11b router

OP
J

jonnyturner

i just bought my first mac, the 14" G4 ibook, and ive ALWAYS been a windows kid, but since i bought the ibook, i seriously havent used the pc AT ALL! (bout 3 weeks)

id never even used mac os before, and im telling you, the switch is easy! you'll be amazed how nice it is after using XP

listen to me, i sound like an advert for apple heh. never thought id see the day

OP
D

decon

I know everyone agrees that the 14" iBook G4 is better than the 12". I really like how small the 12" is.

Biggest thing I am worried about is all my computers at work and home are Windows based, and my future iBook will be the only Mac.

OP
L

lplplpx3

I have the same situation and it has not been a problem at all. I use a thumb drive and save my documents (word, excel, powerpoint) to it at work on the PC, then just plug it into my ibooks' usb port and continue editing etc. It is seamless and formatting etc remains exactly the same.

If you have a particular app that you just love on the PC (I LOVE MS-Publisher) all you have to do is purchase Virtual PC. It creates a PC environment on your Mac. I installed my Home XP (you can choose which OS you want to install) and then installed my PC software as usual. Its a PC emulator so it runs a little slower but overall I have had no problems.

Oh and for transfering your PC email, adress book etc to Entourage go to www.littlemachines.com. Best $10 I spent in a while.

Take the dive.

OP
F

FieldDoc

I recently (5 days ago) switched to Apple, having been a windows user for years. I went for the 14" iBook, having debated about the 12" model for some time. I decided that the screen was just too small for me as a main machine.

Switching to Panther is nothing to sweat about, really. It's prettier, faster, slicker and more user-friendly than XP and your iBook will turn heads. I travel alot by train and every journey I have had in the last 5 days has resulted in someone coming up to me and talking about my iBook (Friday was a rather good looking gal ;))

I wrote a little review about my iBook that you can read here:
http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6492

Hope this helps and I hope you decide to switch - you won't regret it :)

OP
D

decon

After reading the discussions at apple.com, I get the impression the powerbooks have fewer issues than the ibooks.

I'm having a hard time deciding ibook 12", ibook 14" or powerbook 14"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
decon said:
After reading the discussions at apple.com, I get the impression the powerbooks have fewer issues than the ibooks.

I'm having a hard time deciding ibook 12", ibook 14" or powerbook 14"

well since there is no 14" powerbook that narrows it down to the two ibooks for ya

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.