Completely removing applications from osx ?? How to: Uninstalling programs ?? - V2

B

BaLLZaCH

Completely removing applications from osx ? How to: Uninstalling programs? [RESOLVED]

Hi again,

I have a relative newbie question, how do you COMPLETELY remove an installed application or game from mac os X ???

I searched the forum and found "Removing applications?" but basically just said that after you delete them from 'applications' folder of finder that you have to search the HD for the program name and delete all traces yourself.

This does not seem right to me,

NOT TRYING to start a 'Winblows" conversation but, I mean, even back in dos-only and windows 3.11 days there were utilities that would monitor installations and log them for uninstall. Even now with XP at least it tells you where the files are being put, So,

I am just CONFUSED (Confused is all), at where the app's go, and how to completely remove them.

It seems to me that deleting apps from 'applications' folder has about the same effect as deleting the "program files" folder of Windows - basically removes the 'majority' of stuff but.................. (BUT ...) Lol

Any info is greatly appriciated.

Thank you all !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
all you need to do is drag the file to the trash is all you need to do. and then the program is 'uninstalled'. if you want to go the further steps to remove a few lil files which take up no room at all, you can then do a spotlight search if you REALLY want to delete those files which may take up a total of a few MB's.

until then remember that you arent using windows, and this is a really good way of 'installing' and 'uninstalling' files
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Nope, all you have to do is move the application from the applications folder to the trash and empty your trash. It's that simple. It confused me at first, I thought "Wait, that's it?! What else do I have to do?" but that's the beauty of the simplicity of OS X. I think that you're thinking too hard about it. You'll get over it after you delete a few apps. If you REALLY want to, you can buy AppZapper, but I think that's just wasted money unless there's an app that REALLY won't leave you alone.

My advice: Just try it, you'll see it works and you'll be content. It's a major beginning mental hurdle for people new to OS X, but you'll get the hang of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
BaLLZaCH said:
It seems to me that deleting apps from 'applications' folder has about the same effect as deleting the "program files" folder of Windows - basically removes the 'majority' of stuff but.................. (BUT ...) Lol

What you have to keep in mind is that what you see as a single .app icon is actually package with multiple files within it. These files that are contained within the .app wrapper are the same ones that Windows throws hither and yon within the OS. Apps that require other files will keep those files within the apps folder in the Applications folder.

The second thing to keep in mind is how the mac OS interacts with applications, because it is VERY different from how Windows does it.

Thirdly, because all of those files are gathered in one place, simply dropping the the .app in the trash will get rid of everything that makes up the app.

Fourth, there are a few files that will be left behind, usually install logs, prefs or plist files, none of which will interfere with the OS or any other apps and will not take up any meaningful space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Just remember... It ain't Windows, it's better! ;)

OP
B

BaLLZaCH

baggss said:
What you have to keep in mind is that what you see as a single .app icon is actually package with multiple files within it.

Right, I was beginning to understand that after tinkering,
but what still confused me, and the reason I asked, is because I had put a few shareware apps, and after moving the applications folder to the trash, I still have alias links in the system preferences window. (Utilities) Even after restart. Im not worried about it, just confused me.

But that is nice to know that all it takes is a 'move to trash' and 'empty trash' - Crazy, seems too easy.

Thanks !!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.