13" screen too small?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a Macbook after Christmas (once the new software is released). I will be using the laptop as my main computer when I go to university, which would mean that I would use it for watching DVDs as well as the usual study-related and general internet/IM usage.

My one concern is that the 13" screen will be too small to watch DVDs on comfortably, and would prefer to have a 15" screen, but alas this is not available in macbook form.

What do you think - will 13" be too small to watch DVDs on comfortably, or do you think it will be alright?

Thanks,
Chris :D

Reaction score
well I just watched a movie and honestly, when i'm in bed laying down and the laptop is on my lap, I cant really tell the diff between a 13 and a 15... :)

honestly, I prefer the 13 because its so nice and compact, yet not too small

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My 14 inch iBook seems good for DVDs and my daughter 12 inch iBook is good too. It's a matter of personal preference though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Nah, you can always hook up an external screen for your desk work, the rest of the time OS X makes working with little screen real estate a breeze (expose, spring-loaded folders etc)...

And you usually sit fairly close to a laptop, so it's fine for DVD's as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Don't forget that the macbook screen is 16:10 aspect ratio, which means that 16:9 movies display much bigger than on a standard 4:3 or 5:4 ratio screen that's slightly bigger. In my opinion, the 13" widescreen is perfectly OK for watching movies on, and beats my 14" thinkpad standard aspect screen into a cocked hat :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
For movies 13" should be fine I think. But when I had my 12" powerbook as my main computer, I very quickly wished I had gone with a bigger screen. I like having many things open and being able to see some part of just about everything. Chatting with 2 or 3 people, while having iTunes play something, and browsing 2 or 3 websites, the screen can fill up quickly. Expose does help a lot but personally I like having a lot of screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
ive got a 17" imac and a 13.3 inch macbook, and i dont have any issue with the macbook being to small. youd think after sitting in front of a widscreen 17" screen going to a 13" it would be small, but it doesnt bother me at all. go for it.

Reaction score
AnatomyOfARyan said:
ive got a 17" imac and a 13.3 inch macbook, and i dont have any issue with the macbook being to small. youd think after sitting in front of a widscreen 17" screen going to a 13" it would be small, but it doesnt bother me at all. go for it.

yeah same here... I havea 21" widescreen, and going to the 13" macbook really makes a small diff... maybe its because ummm... I really dont know why lol

I do like having the extra space/resolution with the 21" though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
\Na, it's not small at all. I just came back from the Apple store and I used one. It is compact which would be good for a university student, also the display ratio is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
taseal said:
yeah same here... I havea 21" widescreen, and going to the 13" macbook really makes a small diff... maybe its because ummm... I really dont know why lol

I do like having the extra space/resolution with the 21" though :)

Same here, not much difference. I love the size, it's perfect. I just wish it weighed a pound or two less. What would machines be without qualms? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I too love the size. Very compact and tiny but still big enough to watch a dvd from a few feet away comfortably.

K

Katie

I'm having the same dilemma too... I want the pro because of the better processor offer and because of the 15.4" screen. whenever I played around with the 13" macbook in stores and at a friend's house it just seemed almost TOO tiny! I'll be going back to the store on Wednesday though, so maybe my mind will change if I observe it some more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
chrisdb89 said:
I'm thinking about buying a Macbook after Christmas (once the new software is released)....
Thanks,
What new software is due out after Christmas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
D3v1L80Y said:
What new software is due out after Christmas?

presumably Apple will be releasing or previewing OS 10.5.1 during the convention in San Fran from Aug 7th - 11th

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
chrisdb89 said:
I'm thinking about buying a Macbook after Christmas (once the new software is released). I will be using the laptop as my main computer when I go to university, which would mean that I would use it for watching DVDs as well as the usual study-related and general internet/IM usage.

My one concern is that the 13" screen will be too small to watch DVDs on comfortably, and would prefer to have a 15" screen, but alas this is not available in macbook form.

What do you think - will 13" be too small to watch DVDs on comfortably, or do you think it will be alright?

Thanks,
I have only watched a few DVDs, but I never felt like it was too small. I would gladly trade the screen size for the better portability and smaller price tag of the macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
If the MacBook was my only computer then I would have got a PRO with a 15 or 17inch screen for sure, but because I already have several desktop computers I bought the MacBook for its portability and small for factor. The 13 inch screen is about as small as I would want to go, The nice thing is its high res.

OP
C
Reaction score
Another question

Another question:

Do you think that 512MB of RAM will be enough for the usage that I'll be doing? ie. watching DVDs, word processing/spreadsheets for university work, internet/IM and itunes? I won't be doing any heavy graphics work, either.

Reaction score
chrisdb89 said:
Another question:

Do you think that 512MB of RAM will be enough for the usage that I'll be doing? ie. watching DVDs, word processing/spreadsheets for university work, internet/IM and itunes? I won't be doing any heavy graphics work, either.

It won't be if you plan on doing these tasks at the same time. I recommend maxing it out. You can find great deals on memory is you search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ripfrankwhite said:
It won't be if you plan on doing these tasks at the same time. I recommend maxing it out. You can find great deals on memory is you search.
I do all of those things AND use Adobe CS2 and the same time on 512 MB of RAM and its fine. So, if I can do that AND run graphics apps with little to no slowdown or lag, you will be fine.
:black:

OP
C
Reaction score
I doubt I'll be doing them at the same time. Certainly not while watching DVDs at least. I think I'll end up going for the 1Gig of RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.