Sports Team Page

Reaction score
I am a coach on the Yucaipa Swim Team and I would like to set up a web page for them. There is currently a web page, but it has not been updated in about 5 years. I hae never designed a page before, and I am new to the iMac. I have iLife and iWorks. Can someone point me in the rigth direction on this. The team is non-profit, so that might help me out some. Some examples of what I am looking for can be found at

http://www.ngsvgators.com/
http://www.nbac.net/

or

http://www.tsunamiaquatics.org/

The last of which is for a non-profit team.

What am I going to have to do to make this happen. What software am I going to have to buy, what training do I need. Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
to make the best website, you will need some very expensive software, many of which if not all of which were used in tsunamiaquatics.org.

Adobe Photoshop
Macromedia Flash
Macromedia Dreamweaver

ngsvgators.com and nbac.net
only probably used photoshop and dreamweaver.

The best way to learn these programs (at least for me) was to play with them for a few days and get use to their interfaces, then look up tutorials online. After playing with the tutorials and getting further more aquatinted with the interface, I would then look at buying books to learn from. Look at all the books so that the one you buy will be easy for you to understand.

OP
G
Reaction score
Would it be possible to make a website with only Dreamweaver, or would I need Photoshop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You would need photoshop to create the images that are used in the nav bars and custom buttons.

OP
G
Reaction score
One last question, how about iWeb. I know that it may be not nearly as good as Dreamweaver and the others, but will it work? If you can't tell, I am not only new to web design, I am new to Mac's. Any help would be appreacieted.

Also, if I get Studio Suite, will it work on a Mac and a PC, or are they specific to one brand of computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWeb will work, just open it up and try it out to see what you can do

Studio Suite will be specific to the OS you purchase it for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
I would suggest Illustrator instead of photoshop

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you.

Do you know if I could have links on the hompage that would link to an Excel file, or Wor document?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can put links to any file you can upload to your server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
For the basics of photo editing iPhoto may do. As for fancy nav bar buttons and such, somthing like Create or iMaginator may be an alternative to Photoshop. I believe Create allows to easily split images to define botton locations. For the last couple of years, Stone has offered free upgrades for life!

You may also want to look into Gimp for the Mac. But this does require the use of the X11 interface. I did download a Gimp that does use the native interface, but I'll have to figure out where I got that when I get home.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I have started to use iWeb and I think it is going to be OK. It seems like it can be used by computer illiterate people like me. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.