Made the switch.. disappointed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
bil2k said:
A little more than a month ago...
If you have the PC versions of the applications and really need the performance, then you have two extra options. These require you also have a version of Windows to install.

Bootcamp allows you to dual boot between Windows XP (service pack 2) and Mac OS X. This will give you full speed, but note that it is still in beta. I expect it to be in beta until OS X 10.5 is released. Probably next year.

Parallels Desktop for Mac allows you to run varying versions of Windows within a window (or full screen) on top of OS X just like an application. The speed should be pretty good because it is not an emulator. A few things such as networking and USB connections require the product to 'emulate' a layer for that. It will have some overhead, but should run you stuff at nearly full speed.

Perhaps with your 10 days to graduation, you can get some student discounts for the missing peaces.

Reaction score
bishopazrael said:
There's something wrong there. Power down the machine. Wait 2 minutes. Power it back up.

2. Get your restore disk and run the disk utilities from the installer. Repair your disk and your permissions. Several times. (something I learned from a genius @ the bridgeport store...run it several times in a row...)

3. Use appzapper. Get rid of Office. then reinstall it. Try again.

4. Check in the ABOUT THIS COMPUTER. Make sure you're getting all the RAM you have in there. Maybe a bad chip?

Thanks bro. I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
xstep said:
Parallels Desktop for Mac... should run you[r] stuff at nearly full speed.
I just read an article at theregister.co.uk comparing Bootcamp and Parallels. It mentioned that Parallels uses only one processor. So full speed is a bit relative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
MacWill said:
Thanks bro. I appreciate the help.

Did this solve your problem?

Reaction score
bishopazrael said:
Did this solve your problem?

My mother threw away all of my System CD's so I had to order new ones last weekend and they are being shipped.

I ran my Disk Utility and it did indeed say I needed to do run the check with my system CD's as something is wrong (was in red).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
MacWill said:
Took 19 bounces to open Word last time

Same here. Took about 21 bounces for me. Doesn't bother me much since my pc at works takes about a minute or so to load outlook and then another 30 seconds when i hit Reply to my first email of the day (loads word in the background as the email editor).

By the time i get home, everything on my iMac is super fast. Although, the office is letting me test out a new laptop we may be getting our end users that have the duo core chips in them. i will be curious to see how they measure up to my wifes Macbook.

Reaction score
Try running your disk utility.

Mine said it needed to repair the disk drive or whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
See now this is something that would irritate me. I love the idea of 'it just works' as apposed to the pc's 'it'll work after 10 mins of troubleshooting' but it's just lies!

If my pc is running slow, I know what to do with it. I can choose from an endless number of utilities and be able to see exactly what is wrong and know what to do to fix it. It seems to me everything with a mac is a bit wiziwig. as in if there is something wrong, run a wizard and it will do *things* untill it's better. I like to know exactly what's going on.

This mac thing isn't convincing me tbh. :(

Reaction score
Ricky B said:
See now this is something that would irritate me. I love the idea of 'it just works' as apposed to the pc's 'it'll work after 10 mins of troubleshooting' but it's just lies!

If my pc is running slow, I know what to do with it. I can choose from an endless number of utilities and be able to see exactly what is wrong and know what to do to fix it. It seems to me everything with a mac is a bit wiziwig. as in if there is something wrong, run a wizard and it will do *things* untill it's better. I like to know exactly what's going on.

This mac thing isn't convincing me tbh. :(

I haven't checked as I just got to work and I have no Macs here...but, since OS X is based on BSD Unix...and every Unix/Linux has a command called "top," try that. Just run top from a terminal window. Assuming that command is there, it will show you memory useage and CPU usage with the most CPU-intensive program at the top of the list. Very handy utility and it's free. Press Q to quit.

I recently switched from using DOS/Windows since 1988 to a Mac Mini last month and have absolutely no regrets what so ever.

Reaction score
bishopazrael said:
There's something wrong there. Power down the machine. Wait 2 minutes. Power it back up.

2. Get your restore disk and run the disk utilities from the installer. Repair your disk and your permissions. Several times. (something I learned from a genius @ the bridgeport store...run it several times in a row...)

3. Use appzapper. Get rid of Office. then reinstall it. Try again.

4. Check in the ABOUT THIS COMPUTER. Make sure you're getting all the RAM you have in there. Maybe a bad chip?

I got my 2 system restore CD's....is this the restore disk, ext?

I loaded up on one CD and it asked me if I wanted to install the OSX Tiger

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Right there before you install Tiger there is a menu command to run the Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Macwill, sounds like you got your problems fixed?

Reaction score
bishopazrael said:
Macwill, sounds like you got your problems fixed?

I did.

Now, whenever I leave my computer running for several hours at a time...it gives me the error message that forces me to restart the computer....

Ugh, the last week and a half have not been good for my MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.