how do i take the DVDs I own, and put them on my ipod video?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
What software would I use for this, i'm using a mac (of course), and would like to take some of my own dvd's and i guess convert them to mp4 format?

any help would be great.

thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Import the DVD as a Quicktime AVI with Handbrake, then use iSquint to convert them to MP4 for your iPod. Then drag the final video into iTunes and throw it onto the iPod.

That's my workflow anyhow. Everything's free and it takes about an hour and a half on a Dual 1.8ghz G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
search the forums, there are a few threads that cover different ways of doing this
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
surfwax95 said:
Import the DVD as a Quicktime AVI with Handbrake, then use iSquint to convert them to MP4 for your iPod. Then drag the final video into iTunes and throw it onto the iPod.

That's my workflow anyhow. Everything's free and it takes about an hour and a half on a Dual 1.8ghz G5.

No need for iSquint, Handbrake can do it all Just use Handbreak to rip them directly to iPod compatible format. When you rip, use the following Handbreak settings:

Codecs: AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio
Framerates: Same as Source
Encoder x264 (baseline profile)
Average Bitrate: No more than 768
2 Pass encoding is optional (I would recommend it)
Audio as you desire
Picture 320 x 240, for Widescreen to fullscreen use custom and set the left and right to a minimum of 96 each, top and bottom as you desire until the picture looks good.

RIP.

That's it. I've ripped over 140 DVD Movies and many more TV show DVDs with handbrake and it's EXTREMELY reliable. In fact I'm ripping the Godfather series as I type this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Sweet! Thanks baggss, I didn't even realize the new version of Handbrake would do that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Yeah, Handbrake is REALLY reliable, it's awesome. I've ripped tons of movies and dvds. I find you can get away with a 400 bitrate, instead of 768. It looks fine with 400, past that you really can't tell the difference. But, iSquint is also nice to have just for files from the 'net (legally obtained).

Reaction score
hmm, I kind of just ran into this and i'm happy that I did :)

here is another Q about handbrake I guess

say i want to backup a dvd movie that I have... how would I do that? with windows, you just use dvdshrink... you put the movie in, it copies it, compresses it (or does whatever it needs to do) and then puts it into the HD, and burns that into a dvd movie in a dvd movie format... so it basically clones it and shrinks it so it fits a 4.7gb dvd...

how do I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
How? You complain to your senator and vote accordingly in the next elections...

Because legally it's a murky issue, and the movie industry (and their paid-for senators would prefer you paid for every different medium you watched your movie on).

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
How? You complain to your senator and vote accordingly in the next elections...

Because legally it's a murky issue, and the movie industry (and their paid-for senators would prefer you paid for every different medium you watched your movie on).

huh??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He is saying that the legality of doing so may be questionable.

For what you want to do you would use MacTheRipper to copy it to the desktop and then Toast to rip it back to a DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Dang, baggss beat me to it.

Yeah, MactheRipper will rip the DVD, then throw it in Toast to burn it.

Reaction score
BlindingLights said:
Dang, baggss beat me to it.

Yeah, MactheRipper will rip the DVD, then throw it in Toast to burn it.

does it shrink it, so it can fit a 4.7? or is that part of toast's job?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe that is an option it Toast, though it's been a while since I used it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, Toast 7 will do the shrinking part for you...

X

Xmas2Dump

3 steps to convert a DVD movie to MP4 for your iPod

First download the converter tool. I suggest Sothink iPod Video Converter Click here for trial experience.

Step 1 Select Source DVD
Insert the DVD disk into your DVD-ROM, and choose
selectDVD.jpg
If you have more than one DVD drive, make sure which one has got the DVD disk and you have selected the right one.
If the DVD movie is stored in the hard drive, choose
selectDVDfolder.jpg
You should manually specify the DVD folder in the window beneath which show the file system of your computer.
Click "Next" to load the DVD movie.
Step 2 Select Streams to Convert
In the dialog of this step you can see a list of all the movie elements included in the DVD disk.
streams.jpg

• Choose streams
Please select at least one movie to convert. You should select one video and one audio stream for a movie. The program also allows you to select none audio stream for a movie so you would get a movie with just video and without any sound.
By default, the program will choose the first audio stream shown in the movie folder for you. You can select another one to convert.
• Choose movies
The program shows the length of time for each movie.
If an extra movie lasts for several minutes, then it could be a useful material, like a funny scene cut from the movie, or a short interview with the movie cast and crew; or it could be just an commercial ad.
If a movie lasts only for a few seconds, then it could be the clip used by the DVD menu, which isn't useful to most users and might be unnecessary to convert.
• Create movies separately
Check this selection:
multiAVI.jpg
, then the movies will be processed separately. If the box is unchecked, then all the selected movies will be converted and saved as one file.
If you don't want to decide which are the movies you want and which are not before conversion, you can just select all the movies and check the box. Thus all the movies will be converted and saved one by one. And you can specify which are useful to you among all the created movies.
Step 3 Specify the Settings
• Specify the path and name
Select a path and enter a name that you want to use for the created movies. If there are more than one converted files, then each file's name will be differed by an ordinal number which is automatically added by the program.
For example, if the given name is superman.mp4, then the created files will be named as superman-01.mp4, superman-02.mp4 ...
• Audio and Video Settings
Specify the audio and video settings for the conversion.
o Audio Settings
[Sample Rate]: 44100/48000 Hz
[Bit rate]: 8 to 320 kbps
[Channels]: Mono/Stereo
o Video Settings
[Dimension]: There are 8 different dimension settings. Please make sure which one is suitable for your iPod.
[Bit rate]: 128 to 1500 kbps
[Frame rate]: Change the frame rate from 5 to 30 fps. You can also choose not to change the original frame rate.
• Start converting
Click "Next" to start converting.
The program will show the detailed conversion information to you, including the Estimated Overall Time, Time Left, etc.
And there are two operations you can choose to let the program do after the conversion:

after-conversion-1.jpg
- Let the program tell you that the conversion is done by playing a sound.

after-conversion-2.jpg
- Let the program automatically shut down your computer after all tasks are done.
You can cancel the conversion at anytime before it is finished.
• After conversion
When the conversion is finished, the created videos are saved in the folder you've just set in this step. Please open this folder, and make sure you have connected your iPod to the computer and launched iTune program already. Drag the video files from the folder to iTune, then you can enjoy the videos on iPod now.

You may get a smooth and fast experience, and the picture quality is as good as the original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You should import the movie with MacTheRipper first, then convert with Handbrake, saves you a tonnnnnnn of time by not having to convert the file it is reading from the DVD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.