how do i take the DVDs I own, and put them on my ipod video?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can't imagine that if you add together the time to rip with MTR AND HB that they don't come close to the total time for HB to rip directly...

What sort of combine time vs single time have you observed....?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It is a clear and away winner that MTR and HB absolutely destroys HB alone. I haven't done it in a while but it was without a doubt a massive timesaver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, I can rip a full length movie, from a DVD, for my iPod, single pass, in 30 min or less. Would you estimate that it would beat that? This may be something I have to try for myself..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't recall the time but I do two pass encoding. It might have something to do also with the read speed of the drives we are using but I know that for me Handbrake only took probably twice as long as MTR and HB

D

devo

DVDFUN said:
I am going to download the Sothink ipod- converter and try it.

does it seem fishy to anyone else that a new user (Xmas above) would come along and post detailed instructions on how to use trial software, and then a few messages later, ANOTHER new user comes along and posts this?

maybe i am being too skeptical, and i really apologize if I am.. but in a thread filled with other, more popular options.. ugh not even that new ideas are bad.. nevermind this post, something just didn't resonate properly..

to keep on topic: i use handbrake, dual pass (although maybe i should try single pass).. is there REALLY a noticeable quality difference? i'll try for myself tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
BlackPepperCan.jpg

It's also odd how those instructions were for Windoze...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
devo said:
to keep on topic: i use handbrake, dual pass (although maybe i should try single pass).. is there REALLY a noticeable quality difference? i'll try for myself tonight.

In my experience, yes. If you are just watching on the iPod, one pass will do, but if you ever intend to hook your iPod up to a TV, 2 pass will make a huge difference!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD
baggss said:
No need for iSquint, Handbrake can do it all Just use Handbreak to rip them directly to iPod compatible format. When you rip, use the following Handbreak settings:

Codecs: AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio
Framerates: Same as Source
Encoder x264 (baseline profile)
Average Bitrate: No more than 768
2 Pass encoding is optional (I would recommend it)
Audio as you desire
Picture 320 x 240, for Widescreen to fullscreen use custom and set the left and right to a minimum of 96 each, top and bottom as you desire until the picture looks good.

RIP.

That's it. I've ripped over 140 DVD Movies and many more TV show DVDs with handbrake and it's EXTREMELY reliable. In fact I'm ripping the Godfather series as I type this.

Does setting the left and right to a minimum of 96 not cut some of the picture out, or am i on the wrong track and it resizes it to fit.

Never used this video encoding stuff before so i am starting from scratch.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.