Power Mac G5 Starts Up In DVI-A - Force to DVI-D?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have a two month old Power Mac G5, 2.3 GHz dual core, 2.5 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive. I paired it with a new Viewsonic VP2130b 21.3" LCD monitor. It is a great setup - it is hard to beat the Viewsonic for brightness, contrast ratio, response (8 ms vs. 16 ms. for the Apple displays) and so on.

BUT, it appears that both my Power Mac G5 and the Viewsonic support the little used DVI-A spec, which allows a DVI connector (of which there are two on the Power Mac) to drive analog RGB. Now of course both the Viewsonic and the Power Mac G5 support DVI-D too.

The problem? About 75% of the time when I turn my machine on, the Mac comes up and selects DVI-A instead of the desired DVI-D - rather like it is picking the lowest common denominator. This works just fine, but the display isn't nearly as crisp on DVI-A as it is on DVI-D. 99% of the time, just restarting the machine resolves the issue, with the Mac picking DVI-D the second time around. So, starting my machine almost always requires a start up and then a restart. This is annoying to say the least.

Does anyone know of any way to FORCE the Mac to start up in DVI-D? There don't seem to be any detailed controls availalable for the video driver, and so I am stuck with the very minimal Display preferences panel, which doesn't allow you to control such things. Is there some other software out there that would allow me to set this to always start on DVI-D?

I have checked the Viewsonic, there is no way to FORCE it to only look for DVI-D (as you would expect), and so I have to fix this on the Mac end.

Any and all thoughts much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hmmm, this seems sort of odd. What kind of DVI cable are you using and is IT DVI-A compliant. I just started using DVI-D between my G5 and Monitor and the cable I got said it only supported DVI-D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I think baggss is right, you should get a DVI-D-only cable, to avoid the Mac to use DVI-A mode.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent thought guys, thanks. I didn't realize that there was more than one kind of DVI cable. I am using the cable that came with the monitor - of course if *it* supports DVI-A, so does the cable. I will have to see if I can find a DVI-D-only cable and try again. Thanks!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys are brilliant. I did a little research on the web, and found out the differences between DVI-I and DVI-D cables (DVI-I supports both DVI-A and DVI-D). Then I unplugged the monitor cable Viewsonic had provided and examined it. Sure enough, it is DVI-I. I replaced it with an older DVI-D cable I had lying around and bingo! my Mac came right up in DVI-D. Brilliant! Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Glad it worked!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.