• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Computer habits/Phobias?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
People call me insane, and erratic. Well, probably because I have issues but besides that point. Anyone have any odd computer habits or phobias? It may be just me.

But like when I turn mine on normally everytime I tap the keyboard 2 times. In Firefox I have the habit of automatically opening a blank tab even if I dont use it. Theres more.

For phobias, I only like computer monitors to be between the width of 15"-19" no more no less. I am also scared of keyboard were the keys pop up, I like the flat ones.

Now for you all to share :batman:

Yeah, for my issue things i have MAJOR OCD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
Habits

I have a habit of highlighting text on web pages when I'm reading. I don't know why I do it, but it's a habit. I mean, I keep clicking the page and highlighting the text, my family members get annoyed by it. =P

I must keep my desk clean so that my iMac will be the ONLY thing on the desk.

Phobia

I keep the A/C on all the time so that my Intel Core Duo chip will keep cool. =P (I don't think I'm the only one with that phobia nowadays.)

Reaction score
Habits

I always fire Exposé once in a while to see whether the computer is running smoothly.
I empty the recycle bin every couple of minutes.
I am a clean freak. My desktop has exactly my HD on it. My dock is skimmy.
I clean the bottom of my mighty mouse every two days.
My hard disk gets close inspection for too many files if I cross the 70GB line (of 250GB capacity).

Phobia
Dirt on my white iMac.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
This isn't a computer habit/phobia but when I am driving my car I ALWAYS wiggle the shifter around left and right after I shift into neutral.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Paralex: I highlight the text when I'm reading it too. It drives everyone in my office completely mad! Other than that, I think I'm pretty much oddity free, computer-wise. Well, for a programmer, anyway ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
ezhangin said:
This isn't a computer habit/phobia but when I am driving my car I ALWAYS wiggle the shifter around left and right after I shift into neutral.

everybody with a manual does this though.

my computer habits tend to stay with keeping windows and programs in their respective places on my two monitors. and also checking my websites in certain orders. first check fantasy baseball (or football depending on season)

check mac-forums, check MF profile, click get new, open all threads i want to read in seperate tabs, close 'new threads' tab, read and respond and give reputation and close threads as i read, repeat about 2 or 3 times

drink a beer

check myspace (for about 30 seconds)

drink a beer

check our teams folding stats

check mac-forums again

log onto the irc chat and see if someone is there

check email

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Habits/Phobias:

-I keep my desktop clean, only my Macintosh HD. It annoys me when there's more stuff. Now, I installed Windows through Boot Camp and I have the Windows Drive as well, it's annoying the you know whats out of me.

-I constantly keep emptying my recycle bin. Even if there's only 2 KB worth of stuff in it, it needs to be clean for me. Otherwise, I flip.

-The moment I don't need a file, I chuck it in the trash. (kinda goes with the point above this).

- I keep my dock clean, usually down to a minimum. I only have about ten- now nine after making a quick sweep of what I don't really use that much- now eight... you get the idea.

-constantly changing the screen brightness. I guess this is more of personal preference, as I can never seem to find the right brightness.

that's all I can think of for now.

F

Fallooza

sometimes i think i am crazy. after readin this thread i am more confident that i'm not. thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
ezhangin said:

I know MANY people that do that - you are NOT alone ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I also HAVE to keep my trash empty, like it's going to affect performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
For all you trashies out there, here's my routine:

Command-Tab to Finder, Command+Shift+Backspace, Enter, Command-Tab back to browser.

I guess it comes from being on a laptop and dealing with so little drive space...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
I also must keep my trash empty. And my desktop clean. I don't even have the drive on the desktop. I will put files on it for a current project, kinda like a to-do list. Seeing them there I can hear them saying "Finish me or give up already."

As for Phobias I always close the lid by pulling on the middle cause I'm scared i'll make it crooked or something if I always pull down on the same side. My old power book was a little crooked, as I got it used, and it happened to be on the same side I normally closed the lid with and I just really don't want to it to happen to my new MBP. At least not yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
Habits: I'm very glad to know that I'm not the only one who highlights the text while reading something! I do it all the time, and it drives people crazy! I also HAVE to lock my screen when I'm go away to do something else...If I don't and remember to, but I can't (say, I'm far away) I go crazy. I also have to spell everything correctly. I'm a real spelling neat freak, and it bugs me went I can't spell something or I see someone saying
"Yah LOL" and their post is full of typos.....I mean, come one, shouldn't we be respected enough to have something adressed to us spelled correctly? It's just the bare minimum. Oh well, I guess I picked this up off of one of my friends. He's also a spelling neat freak, but grammar as well. And yeah, I'm also an obsessive-compulsive trash-emptier.

Phobias: One word (four entities): Siblings. As some of you may know, I had to have my superdrive replace because my little sister, in an attempt to get the toy story DVD that she had been playing out of my computer, decided to stick a knife in to try and pry it out. She had been used to those bulky drives where you press a button on the drive and it pops out. So now, out of principle, I don't let my siblings touch my MBP.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Phobias:

Do not touch my display screen, or you will die an unpleasant death.

F

Fallooza

ShillAT said:
Habits: I'm very glad to know that I'm not the only one who highlights the text while reading something! I do it all the time, and it drives people crazy! I also HAVE to lock my screen when I'm go away to do something else...If I don't and remember to, but I can't (say, I'm far away) I go crazy. I also have to spell everything correctly. I'm a real spelling neat freak, and it bugs me went I can't spell something or I see someone saying
"Yah LOL" and their post is full of typos.....I mean, come one, shouldn't we be respected enough to have something adressed to us spelled correctly? It's just the bare minimum. Oh well, I guess I picked this up off of one of my friends. He's also a spelling neat freak, but grammar as well. And yeah, I'm also an obsessive-compulsive trash-emptier.

Phobias: One word (four entities): Siblings. As some of you may know, I had to have my superdrive replace because my little sister, in an attempt to get the toy story DVD that she had been playing out of my computer, decided to stick a knife in to try and pry it out. She had been used to those bulky drives where you press a button on the drive and it pops out. So now, out of principle, I don't let my siblings touch my MBP.
addressed? sorry i just find it funny you spelled it wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
rman said:
Phobias:

Do not touch my display screen, or you will die an unpleasant death.

LMAO, for some reason I find that funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
Whoops!! addressed indeed. Oh well, my excuse is that it's summer and I just woke up.

OP
PumpkinLand
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Muhahaha now we don't have to feel alone! We all have weird habits!!

Off I go -VVVrroooommm- :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I have a very bad habit of keeping a really disorganized filing system. I am also in a habit of getting really frustrated with my bad organization and re-organizing everything in a really ideosyncratic way so that everything is even harder to find than before. I do this about once a week. At least iTunes organizes my songs for me so I can't mess that up.

I also skim through the new threads at Mac-Forums way too often to get anything done at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
i am glad to know I am not the only one that has little OCD!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.