Ohh, about to smash my iMac, Can SEE my WinXP but cannot connect (Invalid Username)

B

BaLLZaCH

Whats up all,

I have tried for two days to connect my existing XP network with my new (old) imac. The imac works great on the network, except for one thing..

I cannot connect to one of my three existing computers WinXP.

Mac OSX 10.3.9 shows my Netbeui name in the Network section of Finder, but when I click it, it says "item does not exist" ---

When I try to add the shared printers from this computer, it says "invalid password"

But the strange thing is the printers and network works great on my "other" two XP pcs on the network, its only this (1) ....

I have tried uninstalling and configuring firewalls (Finally just removed it), different user names, different passwords, different shares, rebooting, you name it....

I am lost.

Any ideas ???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What has me confused about this is, Are you using TCP/IP or NetBeui? OSX Supports TCP/IP.

OP
B

BaLLZaCH

dtravis7 said:
What has me confused about this is, Are you using TCP/IP or NetBeui? OSX Supports TCP/IP.

Sorry about that ,

I am using TCP/IP, but,

Because I was trying to network my iMAC with all my XP's, I enabled NetBeui on the XP's so that MAC could 'see' the network names in the 'network' list of 'Finder'.... (Because I am a mac newbie and dont know how to "type" the IP address., like in Windows with the \\ipaddress)

As far as the printing problem,
I just found a way "AROUND" this... (I would still like to figure out what is wrong, but for now, this is an GREAT solution and was exactly what I was looking for):

For anyone possibly reading this post in the future with the same problem, you can enable Windows "IP Printing" and set up a new IP Printer in OSX. Quick instructions that I found are here:

http://homepage.mac.com/corrp/macsupt/macosx/printing/sharedwinprinter.html

Just to clarify the original problem I still have:
I was kind-of cloudy, so just to clarify,
I am using a mixed XP and iMAC OSX 10.3.9 network. My iMAC can see and print via TCP/IP to all my XP MAchines except for one of them. I can see the machine in the NETWORK Finder menu, but when I click it, it takes about 2 minutes, and says "Cannot be found....." ---> When I try to add the shared printers from this machine, to the imac, it asks me for a password. (Good....) Except, when I enter the user and pass, it says "Invalid - Can not log in using this password"...

I have tried several passwords, created new shares, new usernames, removed every peice of software I have, left PC off for hours, I mean every trick in the book, except for the trick that actually works. I Haven't tried that one yet :) LOl

Anyways,
Thanks dtravis for your post, I hope I can figure this out ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have all my machines both Windows and OSX in the same workgroup as that makes things easier. I just click Go and Network and click on the name of the PC and put in Administrator and the Admin password and I get right in. I also make SURE that any Firewall on the windows machine has an exception so it will allow that range of IP address's that my network uses. I have a rather large network with Macs with both Panther and Tiger and on the PC side mostly XP Pro, one Home and 2k Server, all go right in. Will see if I can think of anything else.

OP
B

BaLLZaCH

dtravis7 said:
I have all my machines both Windows and OSX in the same workgroup as that makes things easier. I just click Go and Network and click on the name of the PC and put in Administrator and the Admin password and I get right in. I also make SURE that any Firewall on the windows machine has an exception so it will allow that range of IP address's that my network uses. I have a rather large network with Macs with both Panther and Tiger and on the PC side mostly XP Pro, one Home and 2k Server, all go right in. Will see if I can think of anything else.

Understood.

Yeah all the XP machines are XP Pro, and the one Apple iMac G3 OSX 10.3.9 - (They are all on the same workgroup) - The network overall works great - I have self-tought YEARS of administrative duties and learning the Windows' user-name crap. I have come to understand that unless you are logged in as a 'username' then you cannot connect to another PC with as a "username" ....

But what is happening is like you dont have access at all, like you have not 'logged in' as the 'correct user name' - It shows me the pc but when clicked, denies me access, does not even ask me for a password.

I had originally thought it was a firewall, or something, so FIRST I made sure my firewall was allowing this IP (Which it was), then I uninstalled it just to be sure.

Still, no luck.

I just now copied files TO MY iMAC OSX 'FROM" my PC, 1 gig of them, but yet, I cannot 'connect' TO that PC because it says it 'does not exist'...

LOL
I am lost still...
I know, I know, I just thought I would ask.
Thanks.

OP
L

lobba

You should be able to connect to the PC by IP addy. Open Finder. use the 'Go' menu and choose 'Connect to Server' in the box type 'smb://192.168.10.3' obviously with you pc's ip address. Click Connect. Try your username and password.

If the PC isn't playing ball, go to 'Start' then 'Run'. Type in 'gpedit.msc'

Go to "Computer Configurations \ Windows Settings \ Security
Settings \ Local Policies \ User Right Assignments \ Deny access to
this computer from the network"

Remove Guest account from the list denied access.

This often solves some of those authentication issues within workgroups.

I hope this helps and I haven't pointed out the obvious.

Lobba

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
Nevar give up.

1) Open up directory access
2) Click on <be sure it's checked...>smb/cifs and enter the name of your windows workgroup. WINS not necessary if you don't use one.
3) when your windows machine pops up in the servers list, enter your windows username and password.

Suddenly, it works. It's so flaky... I find the username and password I use varies based on machine and operating system.

When connecting to my ubuntu box, I have to leave the username/password fields blank to pull up any shares. When connecting to other apple machines, naturally it just connects. <shrugs>

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Ok, Highly doubt this could be the problem, but looking at software some times can sometimes be very fusterating, try moving one of your other xp boxes to the location of the one that is having issues. Then don't change any equipment, wires, etc, and see if you can connect to that box from the new location. If so then we can 100% rule out physical problem besides a NIC card failure in your troubled box. I don't think this is likely since the other windows computers can connect to it, but there could be weak signal due to a faulty wiring in twisted paired ethernet cable. The mac may not be able to connect due to this faulty wiring and its age.

Just my 2 cents.. who knows.. ruling out physical problems is always a good thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.