Going off to college...need a notebook

R

rydude07

Basically I am wondering,

Should i get a 15.4 or 17 inch notebook? I know i WONT be taking it to class to take notes. I may take it to the library or coffee shop, and this will be my only computer during college.

Which screen size would you get?

Thanks! and yay first post!

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't buy a 17in notebook unless I only planned on moving it on rare occasions.

Defiantly get a MacBook Pro over a regular MacBook if it is going to be your only computer.

OP
M

menace3054

15", even if you dont plan on bringing it to class now, you might eventually. it really helps to type notes out. come studying time, you can use the search function to find certain topics in your notes

OP
R

rydude07

so I guess I should rule the 17 inch out...but I know I wont be taking notes in class...and if i decide to, which i doubt, then i would get a 12 inch notebook later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rydude07 said:
so I guess I should rule the 17 inch out...but I know I wont be taking notes in class...and if i decide to, which i doubt, then i would get a 12 inch notebook later.
I wouldn't.
If this is going to be the only computer you have, then why not the 17"?
I have seen them and used one side by side with my 15"... contrary to what others may feel, I really don't see that great of a difference. Sure, it is larger, but not by too much. You yourself also said that you won't be taking it out and about all that much, so the larger screen would be helpful if it is used in a more sedintary state.

Reaction score
With the money you save by going 15in over 17in, you could buy a decent 20in widescreen LCD to use with it while in your dorm or wherever.

OP
R

rydude07

true i could hook it up to an external monitor. I think the only place that i would take it is to the library and the rare coffe shops.

OP
F

fliP

Definately stay with the 15. My last laptop was a 17" hp pc and it was just a beast to move around. After seeing everybody else's 15's I really wish mine was smaller. The only way I would recommend the 17 is if it had specs not attainable with the 15 and I know that's not true because I just ordered my 15" loaded :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
yeah. go for the 15.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Question, you definitly need it during college, but why NOT use it for notes? Thats what most people in college do.

Other than that, go for the 15.4". I myself, prefer smaller laptops. iBook 12" Macbook Pro 15" because I have an odd phobio of laptops over 15". Same with monitors no less than 15" no more than 19"

OP
R

rydude07

well basically, i no I am a faster note taker with a pen and paper. Also, if iwant to take notes, i would want something like a 12.1 inch. I just prefer the pen and paper..thats all.

OP
Y

Yon Yonson

rydude07 said:
well basically, i no I am a faster note taker with a pen and paper. Also, if iwant to take notes, i would want something like a 12.1 inch. I just prefer the pen and paper..thats all.
You could always buy the 15" and with the money you saved, grab one of these fancy Bluetooth Tablets, you'll be the coolest kid in class.

OP
K

Katie

take it to class to take notes on! if not that, you could just act like you were and play around on it... haha. I, personally, want to go for the 15.4" because the 17" seems too big for me.

Reaction score
Katie said:
just act like you were and play around on it...

I am pretty sure thats what all the "note takers" were doing. I would always use mine to browse the internet during lectures about stuff that I already knew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Every single person i met at school with a 17inch said that they wished they had purchased a 15 inch. and every signle person with a 15 inch said they wish they had a 12 inch. the truth is that the 15 inch is not as portable as it may have you seem. You cannot even use it on your tray table in a coach flight. Something my brother and I found out during our 11 hour flight to India. But I digress, even taking it to a coffee shop or the library was too muhc of a hassle. This is according to my friends at school. i rocked the 12 inch last year and everyone was totally envious. If i were you and you were not planning on doing heavy graphics work, just rock the new Macbook. the portability (while not as good as the 12) is definitly worth it, even if you dont think so at this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB Ram; 15" MacBook Pro, 2.0 GHz Intel CoreDuo processor, 512MB RA
Personally, I'd go for the 15in. Granted, there is some more stuff built on to it, but my 17in iMac doesn't fit underneath my desk at school. I had to dissassemble the top portion(bookshelves) in order to work with it. Plus, I just prefer smaller laptops. More portable. Especially if you have to fly anywhere!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB Ram; 15" MacBook Pro, 2.0 GHz Intel CoreDuo processor, 512MB RA
mynameis said:
I am pretty sure thats what all the "note takers" were doing. I would always use mine to browse the internet during lectures about stuff that I already knew.
I have to agree!

OP
R

rydude07

wow you guys have been helpful. I guess i should rule the 17 inch out. This will be my only computer..that is why i like the bigger screen. But, the smaller screen is more portable. I guess 15.4 or even 12.1 like someone said should be the way to go. I just dont want to lose my eyesight by the end of senior year. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.