Going off to college...need a notebook

OP
R

Rob

rydude07 said:
true i could hook it up to an external monitor. I think the only place that i would take it is to the library and the rare coffe shops.
Stay away from Coffee shops. I learned that Coffee + laptop = :eek:neye:

OP
R

rydude07

o that sux...maybe since it will most likely stay in the room, a 17 inch or 15.4 should be ok then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
rydude07 said:
o that sux...maybe since it will most likely stay in the room, a 17 inch or 15.4 should be ok then.

I think that if you are not doing any heavy graphic work, buy a Macbook and get an external monitor. It solves the issue of portability, and basically all the specs are the same except for the graphics card. An added bonus, you save some cash.

However, if you are doing intensive graphic work (light work is ok on the Macbook) I wouldn't think twice about getting a Macbook Pro. When I would get it, is a different story--mainly because of the lurk of Core 2 Duo around the corner.

OP
Y

Yon Yonson

iRizzo said:
So you can take notes on this and then it saves it to your computer???
According to the product site, you can write directly into MS Word with an extention. Although I'm wondering how accurate the hand-writting reader would be. However I'm sure there would be a way to save notes as an image file for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
the 17" is really bulky. Just try one out, and you'll see.

OP
B

bil2k

I had a 17" Dell I used for a year before going to a 15" MBP. Trust me, get a 15" laptop if you're going to be moving it a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I dont know why everybody is so against the 17" notebook. I have a 17" Powerbook G4 and I take it to class every day, and hardly leave the house without it. I have absolutely no trouble taking it around places and I wouldnt trade it for the world. If you like the 17", get it, its not that much bigger than the 15 and I really dont think its that big of a deal carrying it around. You said this was going to be your only computer and that you would hardly take it anywhere, so why should you compromise on size for portability? If you can, go to an apple store and play around on the 17" and see how you like it if you think its too much, try the 15". This is all just my opinion, but I love my 17" and I would never trade it for a 15".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.