Linksys USB Adapter Help

W

WhyLobsters

Ok, I am deathly scared of opening up my newly purchased Tibook to install an AirPort card, so I went to my local Circuit City and asked two seperate workers if the USB adapters would work for a Mac. The boxes said nothing about Mac, so I was skeptical, but they both assured me that they would still work on my computer, and they recommended the Linksys Wireless USB Adapter. Here's where the problems start...

I put in the setup disk and it won't run it, which worries me, so I go online and do a general google search of the product to hear from other Mac users who may have it. Besides the experts exchange, which wants like 17 bucks for the answer it may provide, I found nothing about configuring it for a Mac. Does anyone have any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah - since linksys doesn't seem to offer mac drivers, take it back and demand a full refund of your money since they made such a poor recommendation.

Belkin have one that is supposed to be mac compatible...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Aptmunich is correct. Take it back and get your money back. They had no right recomending a USB WiFi Nic with no support for OSX. Like was said, Belkin has one and I am told Dlink does but be carefull. Anything with a BroadCom Chipset will be detected by OSX.

Do you own the Airport card? If so, I doubt it is that hard to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Also, installing the airport card on most iBooks is pretty easy, and can usually be done in five minutes. If you are really worried about it, take it to a local shop and have them do it, although they will probably charge quit a bit for the privilege.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.