Dead iBook G4....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook, iBook G4 (RIP), iBook G3, iMac G3, 30 GB iPod, 8GB iPhone
Hello, I am new here, but was hoping someone could help me.
I have a iBook G4 (1.33 MHz, 786MB, 60G) it was running OS X 10.4 (Tiger).
Well it met it's death from a large Light and Sweet coffee from Dunkin Donuts..... Errrr
Anyway it is pretty much fried. I think the logic bord is toast, but I wanted to save the HD. I was going to try to remove it and install it in an external HD enclosure. First does such a thing exsist and second where would I find such a thing.
My other thing is, if I was able to do that if I hooked it up to my iBook G3 (600 MHz, 384 MB, 20G) running 10.2.8, is it possible to boot from the G4's HD?
Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes, yes & yes.

A few observations:

1. Make sure the enclosure is a firewire harddrive case - PowerPC macs can't boot off USB drives.
2. Example product: You can probably find these at your local electronics store, or just get one online:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146186

3. Once you're done - sell the fried iBook G4 on ebay - you'll be suprised how much you can get for a broken mac laptop.

OP
babsrock
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Yes, yes & yes.

A few observations:

1. Make sure the enclosure is a firewire harddrive case - PowerPC macs can't boot off USB drives.
2. Example product: You can probably find these at your local electronics store, or just get one online:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146186

3. Once you're done - sell the fried iBook G4 on ebay - you'll be suprised how much you can get for a broken mac laptop.

Thank you very much. As long as I can get off all the pics, music and other stuff that I had put on there since my last back up, I'll be happy. I've got to say I am missing Tiger, I keep trying to use features that Jaguar just doesn't have... lol
I suppose it could be a blessing in desguise, now I have an excuse to get a new Mac Book.
And hopefully the extra coverage I bought on my homeowners policy for computers and peripherals will cover the damage to the iBook.
I was planning on listing things on ebay, but I was going to sell off parts. Do you think it would be better to just sell the whole thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
you'd probley want to sell the wholething but state it's for parts only, ps. compusa has external inclosures for about the same price as new egg, i like getting my stuff quick as i can

OP
babsrock
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, well it was going to be $1200 to fix it, logic board and inverter board are toast.
My insurance company (Liberty Mutual) will cover it, since the damage is more then the computer is worth, they are sending me out a brand new 2 GHz Mac Book. I am surprised they gave me that one and not the 1.83GHz, but I am not going to complain. It'll be a nice upgrade from my 14" 1.33 GHz iBook.
Funny thing is I was thinking about replacing mine with one of those anyway...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wow, very cool. Sounds like a very good insurance company!!

You will love the Mac Book.

OP
babsrock
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
Wow, very cool. Sounds like a very good insurance company!!

You will love the Mac Book.

I am sure I'll love it, I can't wait for it to get here!!! And so far I am very happy with my insurance, and I think I need to send flowers to the agent that talked me into the extra coverage for my computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Excellent deal!

Now sell the parts anyway any you'll have paid for the insurance as well! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.