how will COD2 run?

Reaction score
how will COD2 run on a 2ghz macbook with 2gb of ram?

anyone tried? what kinda FPS were ya getting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
when i was at school a buddy of mine ran it on his 17 inch powerbook... i dont exactly remember the specs on the machine but presumably the new macbooks are comprable to even the best powerbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
2ghz 512 ram and it runs fine, Its not the best quality but runs pretty good,
(dont know how to check the fps can someone point me to a program or somethin)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
duh that was a really stupid post of mine above, i didnt even explain how it ran.

The short version is that it ran really well. My pc is decent for gaming, but outdated becuase the last game I played seriously was...original Counter Strike. That being said I didnt notice a difference betwene the way his COD2 ran and any other FPS of similar demand ran on my machine. So the diagnosis is that it worked Well with little lag. None noticable at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
UPDATE:

Well I just played the demo level:

I get an average frame-rate of around 20 fps - 30fps with the highest settable resolution (1024x768), 2x anti-aliasing and all details set to automatic.
The game was quite playable, with smoke being a particular slowdown...

I'm sure if you dropped the AA and lowered the texture resolution you can get really playable experience, if you can put up with the occasional slowdown here & there.

System specs:

Macbook 1,83Ghz | 1,25 GB RAM running the OS X verison.

I bet the Windows XP version will run even better (Windows XP assigns more memory to the graphics card).

OP
T
Reaction score
hmm interesting info aptmunich, thx!

I do have 2gigs of ram, and 2ghz (every bit helps lol) so maybe it'll run decent on mine then

and how come the highest settable res was 1024x768 and not 1280x980 (or w/e it is, i forget lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
Aptmunich said:
UPDATE:

Well I just played the demo level:

I get an average frame-rate of around 20 fps - 30fps with the highest settable resolution (1024x768), 2x anti-aliasing and all details set to automatic.
The game was quite playable, with smoke being a particular slowdown...

I'm sure if you dropped the AA and lowered the texture resolution you can get really playable experience, if you can put up with the occasional slowdown here & there.

System specs:

Macbook 1,83Ghz | 1,25 GB RAM running the OS X verison.

I bet the Windows XP version will run even better (Windows XP assigns more memory to the graphics card).

what program did you use to see framerate? Or did you just guess?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used the built-in console command...

Enable console under the preferences and then enter:

cg_drawFPS 1

And I don't know why it doesn't detect the max. resolution correctly, I know it can go higher as it does on my colleague's macbook Pro - maybe the game is detecting the graphics cards and limiting the res. because of that?

There's probably a console command to force it higher though....

OP
T
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
I used the built-in console command...

Enable console under the preferences and then enter:

cg_drawFPS 1

And I don't know why it doesn't detect the max. resolution correctly, I know it can go higher as it does on my colleague's macbook Pro - maybe the game is detecting the graphics cards and limiting the res. because of that?

There's probably a console command to force it higher though....

possible :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
CoD2 running well has less to do with the CPU and ram then it does with the integrated video card.

the more system ram you have - the more you could allocate to the integrated video, but even then it may not help simply because the speed of the GPU is not enough to push more details int he game.

i am very suprised to hear it run at all off integrated graphics at 1024 x 768.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
:eek:fftopic: are alot of gamers looking for 60 fps in their games or is 30 fps sufficient? :dummy:

OP
T
Reaction score
deus_ex_machina said:
:eek:fftopic: are alot of gamers looking for 60 fps in their games or is 30 fps sufficient? :dummy:

I dont remember where I read it, but there was an article about it...

a human eye cant see more then 24 FPS, so running at above 30fps is really pointless...

some games (like star wars galaxies) actually limits the FPS to 23 so it can allocate rest of the resources to other needs...

once u get above ~23 fps its really no worry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
that's what I figured. I deal with video all day and it's not discernable after 29.97

OP
T
Reaction score
deus_ex_machina said:
that's what I figured. I deal with video all day and it's not discernable after 29.97

yup :)

see ot me it matters since i'm superhuman... I can see upto 128 fps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
I am not too concerned with CoD2 (have a 360 and love it on there).
However I wonder how Warcraft 3 and Age of Mythology would run on my macbook?

B

Boutros

BlueBacchus said:
I am not too concerned with CoD2 (have a 360 and love it on there).
However I wonder how Warcraft 3 and Age of Mythology would run on my macbook?
If you can run CoD2 on 1024X768 2AA full detail, games such as Warcraft 3 and especially Age of Mythology will ofcourse be more than playable as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, those games even ran on my old iBook G4 fairly well...

As long as universal binaries are available for them - they should run brilliantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I have UB Call of Duty 2 running on my Macbook Pro, even when I had 1GB (now 2GB!) it ran really well and I could run it at full resolution with very little lag, although I run it at the lower resolution of 1280 x 800 so it runs really crisp. I'm not sure if there was a PowerPC version of COD2 but I would not recommend it as I had the PPC version of Quake 4 and it ran terribly even on the lowest res with all the effects off, although that could be just Quake 4.

COD2 on the MBP is brilliant!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.