why are folders & apps in trash constantly ?!

C

Cole 505

folders & apps 'relocating' into the TRASH ?!

FWIW Note: I used dogpile AND the forum search engine here for two hours prior to posting this

i'm pretty much ready to trash this thing and reinstall os x....
i have an intel mac and since day one, so many weird random errors happening I don't know where to start...

except that my apps, including several times really important things like System Preferences, keep ending up in the freaking TRASH!! :eek:neye:

I had some problems with home folder, user, desktop type changes I shouldn't have done, which explained some of it; in addition I have a MacIntel and did transfer some PPC apps from my old g4 powerbook before I realized duh...(I switched from windows not even a year ago and I was used to having to "fix" stuff my husband or stepkids screwed up on the PC, what can I say?!)

all that being said....is there something I am supposed to do (lock?) to a folder or something before I trash a duplicate to ensure the REAL thing doesn't end up in the garbage?

also found a log which stated that a "native install" was performed on March something....which was probably before they sent it to me....

is it possible that "native" meant they installed the WRONG os for my Intel Macbook....like a powerpc os?

thanks in advance for helping prevent a meltdown in my brain...

OP
R

Rob

Do you mean your personal folders keep ending up in the trash?
I recommend creating separate accounts for each person, making your self the ONLY admin, and passwording your account so no one else can touch your stuff.

I really think it is your kids or husband messing with your files. ;)

And no, they did not install the PPC version of OS X. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Native would mean it was a native Intel install, vice a PPC install. Can you be more descriptive in what your home folder problems were? That is one area that I know, from experience, can cause all manner of weirdness and such.

Another option, shy of reinstalling, may be to create a new Admin profile, back up all your docs and Apps to a CD or DVD (or external drive) and when you have everything up and running in the new profile, delete the old one all together. This would give you a new home folder that has not been messed with and may solve most, if not all, your problems.

OP
C

Cole 505

Thanks so much for your fast, informed posts!

when I mean IMPORTANT folders, I would say 'sidebar' stuff you can't just "replace" like 'movies' or 'music'....

also entire applications or 'system preferences'
(you "can't use" this cause it's "in the TRASH...." )
I just keep saying ***??!!!

This particular computer(newest 'baby' LOL ) is used by no one except me...I was sick of fixing shyte for the family instead of surfing or working, ha...also I have the MacBook locked/password only.

Could the problem be ownership on stuff I transferred over from my other computer? Because I had all kinds of problems with that for awhile until I booted into administrator mode (or whatever apple calls it, can't recall..sorry!) and also downloaded a third party app and "forced" ownership on a lot of stuff I couldn't get to...

in kind of a separate problem (maybe?)

the system doesn't seem to remember my network stuff I keep saving (although that may be due to using Netgear instead of apple produced router network setup?)

I have my network setup to NOT broadcast (SSID)plus locked down with a WEP password, etc...sometimes I turn on computer and airport hooks right up and sometimes it just asks if I want to join some neighbor's network!

It happened before when I had broadcast name on as well...if someone here can point me to a thread RE: PC & Apple network setups that WORKED and the hardware used I would be incredibly grateful!

OP
C

Cole 505

baggss said:
Native would mean it was a native Intel install, vice a PPC install. Can you be more descriptive in what your home folder problems were? That is one area that I know, from experience, can cause all manner of weirdness and such.

Another option, shy of reinstalling, may be to create a new Admin profile, back up all your docs and Apps to a CD or DVD (or external drive) and when you have everything up and running in the new profile, delete the old one all together. This would give you a new home folder that has not been messed with and may solve most, if not all, your problems.

I did this once and for whatever reason I keep ending up in disarray...maybe I need to give myself a child's account and just use that so I don't make any trash moves...HA HA...wait, I suppose I could make another account with few privileges and see if the same probs happen.

BTW: what would it say if it were PPC install? native install as well?
I guess I understand an OSX is an OSX, but there are hardware specific differences aren't there? Simply due to the Intel vs the powerpc processor?

My g4 PB had a dvd single install disk and then I had os 9 disk, plus the hardware diagnostic disk....so I got this computer and I have two disks which both say os x I & II....what is on each of these and which do I use for reinstalling the apps it came with and which has the diagnostic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Since they could not Install the PPC version of OSX on an Intel box, it would not say anything.

I believe that disc 1 is the OS and disc 2 is the tools etc...

OP
C

Cole 505

I think I figured it out from reading log/console...

the migration moved everything...EVEN hardware related/internal settings! So, the thing is freaking out, or running stuff in rosetta or just not responding oftentimes...

guess it's time to start over and see where we go from there...

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.