Ibook loses connection after 10-15 minutes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Lately (last 2 months or so) my ibook has been dropping wireless connection after 10-15 minutes. I have a linksys WRT54G router, and my windows desktop never loses connection, as well as my wifes windows laptop. I noticed alot of other ibook users had this problem when they upgraded to 1.5gb ram, like I have, but the weird thing is it just happened at the beginning of June. Anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
what type of router do you have? is it new? this used to happen to my ibook, and then it jut mysteriously stopped.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the ibook in exactly the same location in the house as the other machines when this happens? I am wondering if it's interference? Seen that a few times. Also have you updated OSX in recent times? If so it could be a bug in the Airport drivers update or something went wrong when updating. If that is the case, try downloading the current OSX Combo Update and reinstalling it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
The router is a Linksys WRT54G, and I don't think it is interference, because even if I sit right next to the router, after 10-15 minutes it still loses connection. I am going to reformat back to panther, check it out on there, then use my tiger disk to update it and see if maybe the updates are causing problems. Any other ideas?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Just upgraded everything, and it still has problems, only thing I can think of, is maybe reformatting and see if that works. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
hondagus87 said:
Just upgraded everything, and it still has problems, only thing I can think of, is maybe reformatting and see if that works. Any suggestions?
Reformatting will likely do nothing. That is a Windows 'technique', not a Mac one. The issue has more to do with your connection, not the OS.
I would power cycle your setup first, and see how that goes.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
D3v1L80Y said:
Reformatting will likely do nothing. That is a Windows 'technique', not a Mac one. The issue has more to do with your connection, not the OS.
I would power cycle your setup first, and see how that goes.

When you say power cycle what do you mean? I also forgot to mention that my wifes windows laptop never loses connection, and my windows desktop never loses connection. Makes me wonder why they say macs are so great. Anyways, I would like to figure this out if anybody has any ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
D3v1L80Y said:

I have done this many times, and it fixes it sort of. At first the computer is perfect, can browse the internet, listen to itunes radio, and chat, then after 10-15 minutes, the wireless icon in the top right fades from black to grey or whatever color that is, and when I click on it, it doesn't find the network. Sometimes when I close the lid and then open it back up, it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Should I open it up and look around and see if maybe a wire is loose or something?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.