PC way of File Browsing on OS X

S

SullDC

I have always wondered if there was some app wich would allow an address bar to be shown on the top of a file browsing window. It is so much easier to simply "copy and paste" the address to a folder like you can in windows rather than having to find your way back every time. Does anyone know anything that can do this for a MAC? Thanks

-Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Nope. And that is just one of the many things that makes Mac OS X different. The best advice you will find on these forums from myself and many, many others.... stop thinking Windows and stop looking for "Windows" ways of doing things on the Mac. Instead, embrace the new OS and learn the new ways to do things.
:black:

If you really need to find a file or folder fast, just use Spotlight... works like a charm. :)

OP
S

SullDC

well.....

Yes spotlight is pretty good but not when your looking for 1 file or folder on a testing server with millions of files......if only .psd's could remember where their jpgs/gifs/pngs were last saved....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
You still have Command+Shift+G. It's close enough I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
you can use command shift g like surfwax said and enter the address if you know it.

Reaction score
there smth like, press command+mouse (right mouse button) on the top of the window, then click customize tool bar and add "path" button to your tool bar.

OP
L

Logan

Hey if os x can't customize to a user's need than what good is it?
People like to reply "blah get over windows!" . Just because it was a feature found in windows, but you know.. Konquerer uses this feature! It's KDE/Linux based.. It's a good feature, with good functionality.

now the reality of it, I suggest just using terminal, or if you don't know how to use it, take some time learning it. You can type "open ." in a terminal to open a current directory in Finder, or e.g. "open /Applications/" via terminal, and copy/paste directories through this to get it into Finder. I enjoy the filtering you can do with a command line, pipelines, etc to me it is a highly effecient way to get me the item I want. But using the command+shift+g alternative may be faster with a less learning curve, if you don't like a good ol' bash prompt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
MacOS, any version, has never been and never will be as customizable as Windows. There re some customization capabilities within the OS and some you can use 3rd party apps for, but as a whole it has never been intended to be customized. This has been done by design and on purpose. I'm sorry that some find it irritating but that is just the way it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
If it can't be done then what good is the OS? I've always wished that I could see the size of a file on a single click, just like in windows, instead of doing a cmd+i all the time, same for folder size. Any idea if this can indeed be done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you are not using windows anymore....plese dont expect osx to be just like it
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strider said:
If it can't be done then what good is the OS? I've always wished that I could see the size of a file on a single click, just like in windows, instead of doing a cmd+i all the time, same for folder size. Any idea if this can indeed be done?

What a silly thing to say. OSX and Windows are, and get this, different operating systems! They are made by different companies and act differently. To imply that OSX is worthless because it doesn't operate like Windows is like saying Windows is worthless because it doesn't operate like OSX, in other words, plain silly. If this a problem for you, then perhaps switching to OSX was a mistake.

I personally just right click a file and do a "Get Info" which is the equivalent of getting a files properties in Windows. You can open a finder Window in Column view and it will give you files sizes there as well, or you can simply right click, it's the same number of mouse clicks as on Windows.

Reaction score
For those not happy with the finder then you shoul check out pathfinder (here), there is a free 30 day trial. It has a lot of options and things to customise (you can add lots of features or remove things so the user interface doesn't seem as bloated). Pathfinder has an address bar of sorts too.

@SullDC, if you want to get back to a folder, then you can add it to the side bar in the finder. When you are in the folder in question just drag the small folder icon at the top centre of the window and drop it onto the side bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Okay, let's all take a deep breath here...

Let's remember what you guys are defending here - it's not OS X itself, but the Finder...

The Finder is one of the worst parts of OSX IMO... You get used to it, but there's definitely room for improvment.

Anyway: I'd also recommend you check out the 'Recent folders' item in Finder's 'go' menu - it will give you a list of the last few folders you have viewed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
baggss said:
What a silly thing to say. OSX and Windows are, and get this, different operating systems! They are made by different companies and act differently. To imply that OSX is worthless because it doesn't operate like Windows is like saying Windows is worthless because it doesn't operate like OSX, in other words, plain silly. If this a problem for you, then perhaps switching to OSX was a mistake.

I personally just right click a file and do a "Get Info" which is the equivalent of getting a files properties in Windows. You can open a finder Window in Column view and it will give you files sizes there as well, or you can simply right click, it's the same number of mouse clicks as on Windows.

Save the lecture, I don't need it. I've used OS X long enough to know how different it is to Windows. I'm not happy though coz its not perfect for me, I want Finder to be perfect for me coz its the app that I use the most. I believe there certainly is tons of room for improvement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would not disagree that there is room for improvement, but complaining that it is "not perfect for you" isn't going to get you anywhere and isn't really solving any problems. Again, if it's "not perfect for you" then maybe you should consider switching back to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Strider said:
Save the lecture, I don't need it. I've used OS X long enough to know how different it is to Windows. I'm not happy though coz its not perfect for me, I want Finder to be perfect for me coz its the app that I use the most. I believe there certainly is tons of room for improvement.
go buy a dell

the finder is majorly flawed, it can use a lot of improvement which i assume is coming with the next release of the os.

oh and remember that the world, including operating systems, does not revolve around you
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Ain't that the truth.

OP
B

BaLLZaCH

OK, I needed to add my semi-educated two cents...

I myself, will never "SWITCH",
I like OSX.
But,
No more than I like Linux,
Or many others.
I will never ditch Windows, its too versitile.

I have been a LONG time Windows user, BUT, I can also step back and understand the 'SIMPLICITY"of MAC. (Keep in mind that I am broadcasting from a MAC right now)

I Understand that MAC is built ON PURPOSE to be 'elegant and simple' WHICH MAKES FINDER inharently Flawed.

You cannot just 'expect' this to be 'fixed' in the 'next version' ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Your wrong:

OS X was designed to be the first 'power users' & 'beginners' OS in one, so the fact that the finder is less than optimal is not on purpose by any means...

It can be fixed and hopefully will be in a future version of OS X.

Adding options doesn't necessarily help the user get the task done quicker....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.