Defragmenting?

Reaction score
Forgive my noob questions, but:

1. Do I need to defragment my iMac hard drive?
2. If so, what is a good program that does it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
It does it automatically when needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
yogi said:
The basic reason why it isn't necessary is that Macs (and other modern Unixes) use a journaled file system called HFS+ (or ReiserFS or others). Windows relies on it's ancient NTFS which is really horrible. Welcome to the 21st century.

As far as I remember, NTFS is journaled too, and actually the reason why OS X doesn't need defragmenting has nothing to do with journaling, as the purpose of journaling is a very different one.

OS X defragments files on the fly, that's why a disk doesn't get fragmented, unless it start becoming too full.

And, historically speaking, HFS+ exists since OS 8.1 or 8.5 I think, so it's not less ancient than NTFS... :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Avalon said:
OS X defragments files on the fly, that's why a disk doesn't get fragmented, unless it start becoming too full.

yes, this is the reason you dont have to defrag
-chris

Reaction score
Sorry if I picked that up wrong. I thought HFS+ was new with OSX after HFS. Sorry about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Avalon said:
And, historically speaking, HFS+ exists since OS 8.1 or 8.5 I think, so it's not less ancient than NTFS... :cool:

actually, NTFS has been around since the debut of Windows NT in 1993. And HFS+ has been around since OS 8.1 in 1998. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
its funny because Vista will be introducting this feature eventhough OSX has had it for awhile :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually AFAIK vista will be introducing sheduled regular defragmentations (Sunday at 4a.m. - yay waste more electricity in offices - please!), I haven't heard anything about mini-defrags after installs in vista yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
dohidied said:
actually, NTFS has been around since the debut of Windows NT in 1993. And HFS+ has been around since OS 8.1 in 1998. :)

Right, I forgot that NT is more ancient than OS 8...but still, both are prehistoric now. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Actually AFAIK vista will be introducing sheduled regular defragmentations (Sunday at 4a.m. - yay waste more electricity in offices - please!), I haven't heard anything about mini-defrags after installs in vista yet...

Scheduled defragmentations...that's not a way to solve fragmentation problems...but the typical way MS works:
Don't change old things, no, just try to "improve" them... :cool:

H

Hurst01

That is interesting. I have used Techtool Pro4 to defrag my Mac. I wasn't aware that it did not need to be done. I have done it several times on my old G3 B&W. Only once on the G4 since installing OSX 10.4.7.
Of course, I am kind of computer illiterate.

Ed

Reaction score
Avalon said:
Scheduled defragmentations...that's not a way to solve fragmentation problems...but the typical way MS works:
Don't change old things, no, just try to "improve" them... :cool:

And if they ever show something 'new', chances are Mac users already know it.

Like "Gadgets". Lol. Microsooft just doesn't focus and the main point: Accomplishing tasks for the user easily. They have to invent new htigns that require users to read a 120--page manual and learn new terms and keyboard combinations..

Unfortunately, they jsut have to much pressure handling the security issues before they can be innovative.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
There are actually a set of 3 requirements a file needs to meet before it is defragged in Mac OS X. Let me see if I can find them...

Edit: For some reason I can't find them yet. If anyone else knows what they are chime in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.