MBP Overheat issue

Reaction score
I'am a big gaming fan. One of the things im looking foward to is installing XP and playin some games. But, i'm hearing it heats quickly when playing games. Should i buy a cooling pad of some sort? Would it help? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Although I have yet to install WinXP, I do use a laptop cooler with two fans in it. I assume that the MBP stays cooler just from the fact that there is space between the cooler and the MBP, but I find the MBP still operates at a very warm temperature. Anytime I run a CD or DVD in it, it certainly does stay warm! But at least it does run. Previos to buying the cooler, the MBP would heat up so much, the optical drive would not run.

OP
E
Reaction score
Did anyone hear about people applying thermal grease onto their macbooks? Does it work? And where would you apply it? Is the cooling pad the only alternative for cooling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
there are also stands, but the cooling pad is probably the best option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
adding or decreasing grease voids your warranty....so its best not to try it.

P

pinktank

that thermal grase is inside the macbook between the heatsink and the cpu and bridge. The problem was that they applied too much thermal compound so people were taking parts out and reapplying better compound. It is not the hardest thing to do, but not the best thing to do if youre not familiar with the innards of computers

I

iabo

Overheating

element112 said:
I'am a big gaming fan. One of the things im looking foward to is installing XP and playin some games. But, i'm hearing it heats quickly when playing games. Should i buy a cooling pad of some sort? Would it help? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I purchased A MBP it would cut off while playing DVd -at first they said it was a Logic board problem -then a fan problem.(over-heating)...they were unable to repair it. It took a month before it was decided to send me a new one....I hope the new one is not the same...I Haven't recieved it yet. Is there anyone out there with a MBP and no problems...? I hope :eek:neye: none of you experience what i did

S

stardotstar

I have just recieved my MBP 17" and have it triplebooting OSX/Gentoo/XP and so far found that in XP under heavy 3D Load etc it actually gets hot enough up near the screen on the right to feel like it actually might burn you. I suspect this is because the fans/power management is not fully optimised in Windows.

I know that I havn't yet got the full power management sorted in Linux so I am sitting it on a tray that provides plenty of ventilation until i get the fans and sensors sorted.

I'm gonna do some research into optimising the XP drivers but it was quite a revelation - never had a lappy get that hot before. Seemed to be more on top rather than underneath but I certainly woundn;t have wanted it on my lap for long ;)

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.1 GHZ
I tested World of Warcraft on the OSX and XP; the machine gets much hotter when playing on XP. The keyboard remains cool, its the speaker area that gets extremely hot.

P

PFerrara

I use an antec pad I got a couple years ago, works great even today, makes a HUGE difference

F

fliP

I don't understand two things here:
1) Why do people buy cooling pads? The Mac's are sealed on the bottom. They are not like any typical pc laptop that has intake fans on the bottom. I was about to buy one until I realized it was a closed case. The temp difference could only be minimal at best. If you feel I'm wrong: please back it up with some temp logging software graphs right after playing games in XP with and without the pad. I'm willing to be corrected here.
2) Of course the MBP's get hot. It's a smoking fast laptop in a 1" case. I'm used to mine now but every time I use somebody's PC laptop I'm like ", this thing is a beast!" No pc laptop carries the specs AND size of these machines. My MBP only gets hot when gaming, in either OS. It may get hotter in XP but that's becuase I have the video card clocked back up to where it should be in a pc, not in a thin mac. I haven't seen a laptop recently that didn't get extremely hot under high loads. End of discussion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
my MBP, (with Logic Board Update), doesnt get nearly as hot as my macbook. Even in winxp, not really a problem at all. As for the thermal paste...that is the biggest load of S&$T I have ever heard. Too much thermal paste does nothing at all to make a computer run at any hotter temp. It would be a big mistake to try and mess with the paste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
iabo said:
I purchased A MBP it would cut off while playing DVd -at first they said it was a Logic board problem -then a fan problem.(over-heating)...they were unable to repair it. It took a month before it was decided to send me a new one....I hope the new one is not the same...I Haven't recieved it yet. Is there anyone out there with a MBP and no problems...? I hope :eek:neye: none of you experience what i did

Yup, your next batch should be fine!

Mine works perfectly, no problems what so ever

Good luck and enjoy your new macbook pro..

I love apple's customer service, the best service of the world

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
My MPB has been perfect.....and yes, apple customer service is awesome......but you'd better buy applecare, or they dont really give a crap

A

AlexN

iabo said:
Is there anyone out there with a MBP and no problems...? I hope :eek:neye: none of you experience what i did

The only problem I had was the battery wouldn't hold charge. Then I searched the apple support site, and found that they had a battery replacement program and mine was covered. Replaced it, and my MBP is now perfect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.