DL-714P+ and my MacBook

Reaction score
I have a wonderful macbook (a convert here) but I am having problems using MY internet connection, I actually get better responce from someone in my area. I would like to get mine running without problems, but am having no luck, I can get it to connect to the DL-714p+ but it goes slow, (really slow, quoted me at 2 days to download 458mbs) Someone please help me! can I get this one to work, or do I need a new router. (and if so will the DL gamming one 4300 work?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I have a couple questions that should help us trouble shoot your problem:

1) Is your wireless router new, or had you been using it since before you got your Mac?
2) Have you tried hard-wiring your MacBook to the router, and if so did that go faster?
3) Are there other computers on your network? If so how are they connected to the router and do they have problems as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
First thing I would do if I noticed an extreme slowdown like that is power-cycle the whole setup.
That will do the trick about 90% of the time.
:black:

OP
B
Reaction score
1) Is your wireless router new, or had you been using it since before you got your Mac?
The router is about three years old, never had a problem with it before

2) Have you tried hard-wiring your MacBook to the router, and if so did that go faster?
No, I don't have any cables to do it.

3) Are there other computers on your network? If so how are they connected to the router and do they have problems as well?

Yes, and they all run nice and quick (they are also pcs) they are all hard wired into the network. I have one labtop (pc) and it worked last night.

First thing I would do if I noticed an extreme slowdown like that is power-cycle the whole setup. That will do the trick about 90% of the time.

If that is powering down the whole system, then restarting it I did that, I even turned off all computers that were not being used to see if that would help. Nothing.

This morning I can't even get into the network, by any wireless means (my pc laptop or MacBook)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beckrpgirl said:
This morning I can't even get into the network, by any wireless means (my pc laptop or MacBook)

Well that would imply that the problem is with the wireless, and not because of the Mac. More than likely, the router is dead, or there is also the possibility that something is squashing your wireless channel. This is actually quite common as most wireless access points default to either channel 11 or 6, so if you are on either of those, your wireless performance will likely suffer.

Go download iStumbler along with the spectrum analyzer widget and see what other wireless networks are around. I used those tools to check the spectrum around my house and increased my wireless range by about %25 just by changing from channel 11 to channel 1. Link is below.

http://www.istumbler.net/

OP
B
Reaction score
I went out and got the AirPort Express Base Station, pluged it into the d-link router, and presto! Better wireless service then I've ever had, plus I can now print from anywhere in the house! Thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem! I'm glad to hear it worked out for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.