Desperate G3 HELP!!!

X

xfsasx

Ok i hate for this to be my first post...im a long time mac follower and just recently got my first mac i can call all mine...i picked up a 400mhz g3 for 100 bucks and did some research ...i bought a zif from a 400mhz g4 and im currently installing right now...i need help horribly...from what i read so far is that my board was updated to not except g4 zifs so i found the g4 enabler and it says it needs to open in os 9 so i tried it in os 9 but it just has a PC logo and says that it cant be open cause the application that created it cannot be found...please tell me what i need to download for the g4 enabler app to run on os 9.2...thanks guys!

Vince

Reaction score
Okay okay. Cool down. Use periods. And capitals.

I understood:

You have a G3 PowerMac, I assume.
You want to insert a ZIF that you extracted from a G4 PowerMac into this one.

You failed at first, because you couldn't use G4-Zif with G3.
You got yourself a "G4 enabler" that is a Classic App (OS 9).
This App shows you an error message that it can't find the file it was created from, and it show you a logo of that reupted "PC" company...

That's all I understood.

My best guess would be: Tell us more about your "G4 enabler" by "PC Company".

OP
X

xfsasx

well i figured out that os 9 is just not recognizing any file extention at all so i might have to reinstall but now im having a even bigger problem ...i had it running just fine and was in os 9.2 and used the startup disk to restart into 10.4.7 and now it wont boot at all...it turns on fine the monitor comes on for a sec (black screen) then just turns back off and goes to power save mode....what am i to do!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
If you just installed a ZIF processor from a used powermac g4 and didn't get an offical processor upgrade from sonnet, newertech, owc, etc, there is a possibility that your going to have Cache problems. I read somewhere that the g3's cache doesn't work well with the g4 chip sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
xfsasx said:
well i figured out that os 9 is just not recognizing any file extention at all so i might have to reinstall but now im having a even bigger problem ...i had it running just fine and was in os 9.2 and used the startup disk to restart into 10.4.7 and now it wont boot at all...it turns on fine the monitor comes on for a sec (black screen) then just turns back off and goes to power save mode....what am i to do!?
Try resetting your PRAM to get the machine booting again. Who's g4 enabler were you trying to use?

For solutions to your OS9 problem it sounds like maybe you have a bad install of OS9, but you can search the database at www.xlr8yourmac.com there are lots of reports of swapping processors in there and how the workarounds were done. there could also be a helpful article in www.lowendmac.com somewhere.

Good luck, Hopefully someone else in here can be more helpful

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.