Wireless Networking - help

G

Girlyklvj

Hello, ok it is fair to say i am a newby to the whole Mac world. So with that in mind i am looking for someone to help.

I have an old G3 iMac, which has been upgraded(pimped-lol) to osx. OK so i am going to open a shop in my house (used to be) the internet etc is downstairs. i want to move the mac upstairs and put my windows based PC in the shop soooooo. Rather than cable to my router. i thought i would do what everyone else seems to have and go wireless.

Now this is where i have no idea how to begin. i know that an airport card comes into it. I am sure i still need by router but as for the it in between HeLp.

Someone please tell me whether i can setup a wirless network, that allows both my mac and pc to work on the net (they dont even need to share info!).

Thank you.
Kate:) :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Okay, step 1: Buy a wireless router.
Step 2: Make sure both the PC & the mac have airport / wireless lan cards in them.

Step 3: Hook the router up to your cable/dsl modem and set up the network (usually done by hooking up a computer to the router via an ethernet cable and entering a specific IP address in a web browser).

Step 4: Surf away!

This is obviously somewhat simplified, but should give you a general gist of what you'll need.

If you don't yet have broadband, you'll most likely have the option of getting a free/cheap wireless router with your new provider when you sign up.

Otherwise just get Apple's airport express is you want minimal fuss, or any cheap generic wireless router if you want the no-frills option.

If you iMac doesn't have airport built-in (check the apple menu-> about this mac-> more info), you'll need to buy an airport card (not the airport extreme card)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I would also like to throw in my two cents here:
You only need wireless access in the computer if it will not be in close proximity to the where the wireless router will be. From what you posted, it sounds like you will be able to hard wire the PC to the router and let the Mac connect wirelessly via AirPort.

OP
J

JimmyHat

A long ethernet cable (about 100' or so) can actually cost as much or more than a wireless card for your pc. You might be better off just going all wireless.

Be sure to read the manuals that come with your cards and your router. Wireless routers are usually configured through your browser, by going to a specific IP address. Generally they are some variation of 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x depending on manufacturer.

I would also recommend using some type of wireless security. 99% of the wireless networks that I know of don't use it, but you can get other people piggy-backing onto your internet connection. Not a big deal unless you have sensitive info, shared files, or a bandwidth limit on your account - and even if you don't have any of those, it takes 5 minutes to ensure that your network is secure.

OP
G

Girlyklvj

Many thanks

Aptmunich said:
Okay, step 1: Buy a wireless router.
Step 2: Make sure both the PC & the mac have airport / wireless lan cards in them.

Step 3: Hook the router up to your cable/dsl modem and set up the network (usually done by hooking up a computer to the router via an ethernet cable and entering a specific IP address in a web browser).

Step 4: Surf away!

Yes simplified version, but help get it clear in my mind. Thank you i will print off and read again at my leisure.

Thanks again

OP
G

Girlyklvj

Thats exactly what i want to do....

eddiddiums said:
I would also like to throw in my two cents here:
You only need wireless access in the computer if it will not be in close proximity to the where the wireless router will be. From what you posted, it sounds like you will be able to hard wire the PC to the router and let the Mac connect wirelessly via AirPort.

Yeah i have my pc that i would prefere not to have to setup a whole new router and network thing. So yeah it would be easier to have the PC wired and the MAC wireless, any sugguestions????? on how i can do this.

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.