What's happened to my monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
After my 2-year-old got onto my computer, the way my monitor displays got totally screwed-up. [Because Safari crashes whenever I try to upload screenshots (and any images) to this site, I have to try to describe what my screen looks like right now!]

In terms of colors, it looks like it's in 256-color mode even though "millions" of colors have been selected in display preferences. For example, my wallpaper image shows my kids' faces as blotches of white, yellow, and red instead of fleshtones. In terms of text, it's as though I've scanned a page of text with my scanner then chosen 'black and white' mode: text is hardly legible in some cases, like it’s some cheap photocopy.

To try to solve this, I first checked my display preferences. Then I logged-out and logged back in; at first, everything looked perfect as the wallpaper image then title bar appeared, but as soon as the dock appeared the problem recurred. This also happened when I re-started the computer. When I switched users, everything appeared perfectly - until I switched back to my main account again, which has led me to conclude that I don't have a monitor or OS problem, but rather some changed display setting in this account that I have no clue about how to find or fix.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Very strange - I'd check your plists and possibly repair permissions, see how that does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Try Control.Option.Command.8 (All keys together)

Available option in System Prefs Universal access.
Best.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Problem solved!

Actually, both of you were on the right track. What happened was my son must have pressed some sort of key combination that changed a Universal Access setting, and that caused the wierd appearance to my screen. The ONLY reason I found this out is because I phoned AppleCare and the lady led me step-by-step -- patiently! -- to the resolution which involved finding the screwed-up .plist file and overwriting it with the older one for Universal Access. If anyone wishes me to detail how this was done, please ask.

As for AppleCare, once again they came to my rescue when nobody else could! I couldn't recommend the 3-year extended AppleCare warranty more strongly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I bought the 3 yr Applecare that was helpful once. After I found these forums though I've never had to call them. I say that using these forums properly will help AT LEAST as much as Applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Did you try the Control.Option.Command.8 quick keys.
You just repeat them to put the screen back to normal.

It's a fun one to try on Macs being sold by PC guys in retail premises who haven't bothered to learn about the products they are selling.
OK, I know, I'm mean. :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
apple care is a good thing to have.. I am glad it worked out for you.

BTW: welcome to the forums.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
torchy said:
Did you try the Control.Option.Command.8 quick keys.
You just repeat them to put the screen back to normal.
I tried it as soon as I read your original post (before I phoned AppleCare), but it didn't solve the problem.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deus_ex_machina said:
I bought the 3 yr Applecare that was helpful once. After I found these forums though I've never had to call them. I say that using these forums properly will help AT LEAST as much as Applecare.
I guess I've had the opposite experience. I've had to go beyond Mac-Forums a few times, but in such a case I'll usually try the forums on the Apple website first before resorting to AppleCare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The problem you had sounds a lot like the "Enhance contrast" being set to maximum in Universal Access...going to erase the .plist to solve that works, sure, but an AppleCare Helpdesk should know what setting is screwed and show you were you can find it, instead of simply erasing the .plist.

Just imagine you had a couple of personnalized settings...you erase the .plist, and they are all gone. Erasing Mail's plist file for example erases your account information.

And by the way, the Apple discussion forum? Not a good place to find good answers... :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.