Anybody here use Virtue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro; 8GB RAM; 256GB SSD; 27" Thunderbolt Display
After seeing somebody using Virtue, I thought it was nice eye candy and that I should try it out myself, in case it makes using my Mac any more productive.

I installed it, and I'll admit I don't know much about it yet, but can anybody tell me how it's better than simply cmd+tabbing through your different open apps?

After looking through it's preferences screen, and it's web site (http://virtuedesktops.info/), I know there is more this little app can do, but nothing is very clear to me.

So, any faithful users out there? If so, can you inform me what I'm missing?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Basically, I've used it for a week or two, but I think it's best to use it if you have a lot of RAM- not necessarily due to Virtue directly but rather because you'll tend to leave more apps open at once. It is very nice- it allows you to dedicate whole screens to whatever apps, tasks, etc... and switch back and forth. Plus, you can't beat free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's nice to have multiple desktops if you often work on different things at once:

I like to open one webdesign desktop, with my current code, webpage preview, Finder folder and photoshop open.

But I still want to have another desktop with a safari window open with code references, templates, workarounds etc...

Another desktop has my Mail & iTunes and yet another has parallels running Windows XP fullscreen so I can see if the page works in IE 6.

It's a way of keeping your workspace uncluttered whilst avoiding having to minimize or hide windows all the time.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro; 8GB RAM; 256GB SSD; 27" Thunderbolt Display
Aptmunich said:
It's nice to have multiple desktops if you often work on different things at once:

I like to open one webdesign desktop, with my current code, webpage preview, Finder folder and photoshop open.

But I still want to have another desktop with a safari window open with code references, templates, workarounds etc...

Another desktop has my Mail & iTunes and yet another has parallels running Windows XP fullscreen so I can see if the page works in IE 6.

It's a way of keeping your workspace uncluttered whilst avoiding having to minimize or hide windows all the time.

Sweet, that's the kind of info I was looking for. If you don't mind me asking, does this produce a serious hit on your 512mb of ram? I've got a gig in a 1.42mhz mini and I wonder what a situation like your might do to performance and 'responsiveness'.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.