Mac Compatible MP3 Player (Not iPod)

Reaction score
Hi All;

I'm looking for an MP3 player that is Mac Compatible. I have been using the Rio Cali for a long time, but would like something smaller and semi water resistant. When I go to Amazon or any other site that sells MP3 players they don't always state which systems they are compatible with. For example, Amazon lists the Machspeed Trio as being Mac compatible, but on other sites it only says Windows. Any suggestions of Mac Compatible MP3 players will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
Sunny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Aynthing that doesn't require proprietary software is mac compatible, as most cheap mp3 players just mount as USB harddrives.

Sorry, I don't know any specific ones offhand though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB
That's true, most should work just fine, have you tried someone that you know who has one? If not, i would recommend that, because so many players are crappy these days i think...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
I know the iriver can work with a plug in, here it is, but it won't load on my computer for some reason. furiousbear.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
As long as it's USB, it should work... though most use WMP, which won't work with Macs...

I say go iPod. Or, use Windows. Your choice.

Though the Creative Zen series is good, as well as iRiver, I've heard good things about the Dell pocket DJ... though I'm not sure they'll work with macs.

Reaction score
So, just why do you state "Not an iPod"? you have a problem with Apple? For the price $70 for a Shuffle or $140 for a Nano i don't see how your really gona beat them. Great sound out of such a small package and they will work both with a Mac and a Pc using iTunes, or do you have a hard on for iTunes also...

Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same boat. Personally I'd rather die than have an Ipod. I really don't understand what there is to love about them. I'm just about to go completely mac though so rather than running bootcamp and using Sony's Sonicstage. I'd rather just do it all on mac.

Does anyone know of any mac compatible MP3 players out now - considering this thread was started two years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Personally I'd rather die than have an Ipod. I really don't understand what there is to love about them.
Ah yes, being "anti" for the heck of it :)

I've got no problem with people who have a genuine gripe with the iPod (which there are enough of legitimate reasons for), but just not liking it because everyone now has one seems silly to me. Having said that, I'm sure you have your reasons... but "I really don't understand what there is to love about them." is just being silly ;)

"Anything but iPod" lets you search for specific features in a player, including OS compatibility (Uncheck windows & linux under "data transfer"):
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/compare/search

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Brushed aluminum type Imac :)
I have a creative Zen and it is not mac compatible...Really upset me too because imho the zen is a better player then the ipod.

Reaction score
Not ipod

As far as not wanting an ipod goes, I've had a couple. And I do like how they work, the backs just dent so easily! I had one in a hard case, dropped it (I'll freely admit to being clumsy) and the back still dented. This was the second time it happened, the first it was under warrantee so it was replaced. It'll cost me $80 to fix, just for it to happen again.
So I'd just as soon buy a different, more sturdy, type.

Reaction score
Why not an iPod?

I am in the same search.

Why not an iPod? Simple...

I had a Creative Zen... WONDERFUL and has had better reviews than the iPods. Before the 1st iPod got a video a year or less ago, Creative had it already for some time. Creative lasts more hours than the iPod and the price is almost half of the iPod!!! So, why would I want to pay the double when I can get something better for half the price?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.