• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

So I'm in the market for a Mac, it will be my first one

S

squeey

I want to get a MacBook, if it meets my needs.

I have been asking around, getting other peoples input, should I get a new MacBook, or biuld a new PC? MY current PC is about three years old, it's sporting a 2.5 ghz P4, 768 MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce fx 5600 256 mb. It gets the job done, but its got its issues that have never been resolved. From what I've seen and hear, Macs run very smoothly, with very seldom slow down, is this true?

I also have a few other question that I haven't gotten a good answer to.

Any idea how Call of Duty 2 would run a on a new MacBook (not the pro) if done is DirectX 7? When comparing video cards to games for a Mac, do they all process exactly the same as on the PC, so the same standards could be held to both Windows and Mac systems?

I know 64 MB onboard is not by any means awesome. How much does the dual core processor help with gaming, if any? I never knew if dual core effected other peripherals or not.

Are there any not so obvious features about macs that just jump out at you, that would persuade someone to purchase one?

Does anyone have any experience with connecting to a mac with your xbox? I use Xbox Media Center, and it connects on the network with my Windows box, will it do the same for the mac?

I appreciate any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
squeey said:
I want to get a MacBook, if it meets my needs.

I have been asking around, getting other peoples input, should I get a new MacBook, or biuld a new PC??

I appreciate any help!
It has been my personal experience with those that ask this question, that if one needs to ask then they are not ready to get a Mac. When the options are a Mac or a new Windows PC, then the Windows PC is usually what the person really wants.
It would appear that you are a gamer from the questions you have asked. If that is the case, then again the Windows PC should be the best option. Yes, there will be responses from others here who will just suggest getting the Mac and using Boot Camp to install Windows, but that is not a very viable option in my eyes. Boot Camp was intended to allow someone to run Windows natively so you could run an app or two that you really needed Windows for. While you can, it was never really intended to be used to as a full-time OS or really meant to be used for playing games. Just because you can, doesn't mean it was the intent of the designers.
If nothing else, it would cost you considerably less to custom build your new Windows PC than to spend the cash on a new MacBook.
:black:

OP
S

squeey

Bottom line is; I want a Mac. I'm not the big of a gamer, I stick to call of duty and other WWII games. My current PC plays those fine for me. I would just like to have COD or BF:1942 on a laptop. And I'm also not too conerned about Bootcamp too much either. I have the cash for a MacBook, so I definately want it. I just want to prepare myself some before I just jump into it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
honestly, if you really want to, then you must. That's the most important piece of advice I would give. You can always upgrade your old PC as well...

But yeah, go for the MacBook.

OP
S

squeey

ShillAT said:
honestly, if you really want to, then you must. That's the most important piece of advice I would give. You can always upgrade your old PC as well...

But yeah, go for the MacBook.

Any particular reason I should choose it over the MacBook Pro? I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to. So would the MacBook be good for making dvds, photo editing, some gaming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
squeey said:
Any particular reason I should choose it over the MacBook Pro? I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to. So would the MacBook be good for making dvds, photo editing, some gaming?

It does well, unless you're a Pro that really needs those features, then you should be fine. If you keep your old PC and ever feel like gaming, you could always fire that up, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Your in luck, Mac has Call of Duty 2 available. But don't worry, even though the Macbook sounds like a puny machine with only 64mb of onboard graphics you'll be surprised when you boot up the Mac and see the screen.

As for the Macbook Vs. Macbook Pro if your just going to be doing some tasks like internet, video, IMs, or just basic, simple life matters, than a Macbook is more than enough. A Macbook Pro would be intended more for my type of use, heavy duty Photoshop, Final Cut, Avid, Macromedia Flash. Thats what the Pro is basically for, that and you'll be able to do it on the go.

Sad thing is, even though I need it for school, theres no chance I could get the money or have my dad buy it for me. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
D3v1L80Y said:
It has been my personal experience with those that ask this question, that if one needs to ask then they are not ready to get a Mac. When the options are a Mac or a new Windows PC, then the Windows PC is usually what the person really wants.
It would appear that you are a gamer from the questions you have asked. If that is the case, then again the Windows PC should be the best option. Yes, there will be responses from others here who will just suggest getting the Mac and using Boot Camp to install Windows, but that is not a very viable option in my eyes. Boot Camp was intended to allow someone to run Windows natively so you could run an app or two that you really needed Windows for. While you can, it was never really intended to be used to as a full-time OS or really meant to be used for playing games. Just because you can, doesn't mean it was the intent of the designers.
If nothing else, it would cost you considerably less to custom build your new Windows PC than to spend the cash on a new MacBook.
:black:
I have to say I strongly disagree with you on this...

Looking at the specs on your PC, it's still a more than capable machine. But it has "issues"... Most of the time computer issues are more software than hardware related, and if it's hardware, then most likely hardware incompatibilities due to the components not working together well.

Building a new PC is not going to change any of that... Sure, you'll have a faster machine than your current one, but chances are your windows installation will be junked down in a few months, you might have "issues" with the hardware, and so on and so forth...

Most people who switch to a mac are somewhat unsure of it beforehand, and I certainly asked similar questions here beforehand, even though I actually wanted a mac.

Bootcamp might not be the intended OS for the hardware, but since it's basically made from stock PC parts, it's no less "intended" for the hardware than Windows XP is for generic PC hardware or a custom-built PC.

So my answer would be: Yes, get the macbook - it'll do everything you want to do with it and more...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Get a MacBook, I had similar requirements out of a laptop and the Macbook has servered me well over the past 2 months.

If you want to play games like COD or Battlefield 1942 I recommend 1gig or more of ram the 512 will run it but it can be choppy, I bought my MacBook with 512 and just removed a 256 and installed a 1 gig stick for a total of 1280megs it runs BF1942 perfectly now.

Reaction score
I am also looking into getthing the macbook pro. The main difference between the macbook and the macbook pro is that the pro version has a much better graphics card. With boot camp installed on the Macbook pro it will be much more powerful than your current PC. Though the graphics card is mid range in today's standards it should be more than enough for playing today's games, and much more powerful than what youhave in your PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
What I am wondering is what is keeping you from getting an iMac? Spend the couple hundred bucks extra and have something much nicer than a MacBook and a PC. Even if you get the 17", the GFX card will make up for the lower processor speed. The iMac comes with a Radeon X1600 128MB, plus with a gig of ram, it will do everything you need/want it to do.

OP
S

squeey

iBeldar said:
What I am wondering is what is keeping you from getting an iMac? Spend the couple hundred bucks extra and have something much nicer than a MacBook and a PC. Even if you get the 17", the GFX card will make up for the lower processor speed. The iMac comes with a Radeon X1600 128MB, plus with a gig of ram, it will do everything you need/want it to do.

I've actually started looking at the iMacs. I wanted the MacBook so I could take it where ever, but if I were to do that, I'd use it a lot longer than the battery could handle, and I'm sure I wouldn't be anywhere convenient to recharge it. Also, I know I would drop it, or spill something into it.

Since looking at the iMacs, I do have a few questions about them...

I have an HDTV, has all available inputs, so would I be able to hook the iMac to the HDTV? And if so, would the picture be ok? My current PC can, however the desktop is hideous, however games are beautiful.

Would I be able to hook my PC to the 20'' monitor?

When it comes to moving the iMac, since its only a flatscreen, keyboard and mouse, is it fairly easy to relocate?

I have a logitech 5.1 system for my PC, could I be able to hook it up to the iMac?

Any other features about it that I should know about?

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Reaction score
I'm loving my macbook, I changed from PC as well... I used to be an OLLLDDD mac user (from LCII to powerpc 5200) then switched over to PCs for gaming... now i'm back to macs since I dont play games as much, but I 'might' buy COD2 just so i have a nice/new game to play when I'm in the mood for it :) I just hope this computer will handle it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.