Getting a MacBook Pro Questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 2 GB RAM 30" HD Cinema Display iPhone 8GB Video iPod 30GB & 80GB
After getting my iBook G4 stolen this past semester, and just getting used to Mac and loving it, I have to start over again.
So I've decided to go "all-out" I suppose this time and am getting a MacBook Pro soon. 17 inch, 2.16GHz, 2GB, 120 GB, to last me all through college.
After some searching around the forums about questions on running Power-PC based applications on the now Intel based Macs, I saw that the non Universal Binary applications run a bit slower because of the Rosetta Pro application translating. Naturally, I guess that makes sense and all.
My question really is, as a whole, is this a really significant
issue, or and issue at all? How much slower do the applications run?
Not that I'm not willing to wait on Universal versions of third-party applications, I'm just wondering is it will be much of a headache or anything?
Either way I'm getting the machine, I'm just curious as to how much of a difference there is. So hopefully I didn't sound to unintelligible, and this is an easy question to get some input on. Thank You.
-bloom

p.s. Call me a terrible forum searcher but I didn't really find the exact answer or question for what I'm looking for here. Although it would seem obvious that this is answered somewhere.
So if this was out there please forgive. Afterall I'm new. :headphone

Reaction score
bloom the non-universal binary doesn't run really slow. the specs you gave me above with nonuniversal apps will run just fine. they call them slow because they are comparing the universal with non universal. so don't worry and just get the MBP. also depends on what you run. if you run big hard apps then a lot slower but office no not that much slower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
well the main issue you didnt cover is which applications you plan on running under rosetta. emulated word processing may be milliseconds slower....emulated photoshop could possibly be terribly slow

so what you plan on running?
-chris

OP
bloom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 2 GB RAM 30" HD Cinema Display iPhone 8GB Video iPod 30GB & 80GB
Yeah I forgot that. Sorry
Mainly Maya, Photoshop, Illustrator, and also some others I'm not too worried about.
Odd I'd forget that part, seeing as that's what brought the question up in the first place...
Logic and the other Mac apps I'm not too worried about obviously.
Thanks,
-bloom

Reaction score
bloom said:
Yeah I forgot that. Sorry
Mainly Maya, Photoshop, Illustrator, and also some others I'm not too worried about.
Odd I'd forget that part, seeing as that's what brought the question up in the first place...
Logic and the other Mac apps I'm not too worried about obviously.
Thanks,
-bloom

yep with Photoshop you will be extremely slow. I say get a G5 or wait for the next universal apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
some of those programs may be a little sluggish...

adobe is going to be releasing universal binaries with their next major software release of their program suite (most likely no longer named CS2) in mid 2007. i dont know anything about maya though
-chris

OP
bloom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see thanks.
I really probably will get the MBP, I've had my eyes set on it for awhile.
So I guess it's a bit irrelevant, but I mean will it be that much of a headache?
Will I be getting aggrevated or POed that photoshop it's moving sluggish while trying to get an assignment for class done?
I'm willing to be patient for the release of more third-party applications within the next year or so I'm hoping this will last me through most of college.
-bloom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
From all I have heard and seen with my own eyes (some people have MBP's at school), Adobe apps are not unbearably slow like some people state. From what I can see it is slower compared to my PBG4, but not nearly as drastic as everyone here claims. They run just fine. Sure there are new versions that will be universal coming out, but if you already have it now you won't be too disappointed IMO.
*shrug*
:black:

Reaction score
you could always install windows xp and run photohop in that. That would be faster wouldn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Mac_Attack said:
you could always install windows xp and run photohop in that. That would be faster wouldn't it?

yes it would be faster but i believe the reduction of speed is going to be minimal in osX under rosetta....unless your working on pictures that are amazingly huge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
I run photoshop cs on my MBP and it feels just as fast as it did on my old 800Mhz PowerBook G4. I don't deal with huge images though. And all of Office feels the same too. And once the universals are realeased then it won't be an issue anymore anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.