Windows won't recognize Microsoft USB Optical Mouse.

K

killjoi

After reading 3 pages into the forum, and not finding anyone with this problem, I'm kind of bummed as it seems like I'm the only person having trouble here. When I plug in a Microsoft USB Optical Mouse, it doesn't recognize it more than a USB HID. Even if I point the hardware install directly to Windows' built in driver for this brand of mouse.

It also doesn't work under Mac OS, but I'm not that shocked. This is my first Mac, so I'm not sure whether USB devices I bought for my WinPC will work on a Mac or vice versa.

Macbook Pro 2.0 w/ 1 gig ram...OSX 10.4.7

OP
K

killjoi

In terms of the mouse working in Mac OS, scratch that. After a short wait it finally began to react to input. Just longer than what I'm used to on Windows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Am I the only one that finds this funny? Microsoft mouse not recognized by Windows? :)

Seriously, though you need to put the CD that came with the mouse (or download the driver from Microsoft's site) and install the driver. As for OSX, just plug it in and wait a few seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
killjoi said:
...so I'm not sure whether USB devices I bought for my WinPC will work on a Mac or vice versa.

If it is USB, there is a very good chance it will work on the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
in summary, you will need to obtain the drivers in order to get your mouse to work in windows xp sp2. your mouse should work perfectly in osx after you plug it in and it recognizes it.

if you find issues with all your buttons not working correctly or as you want them to find the program usb overdrive X, i think it costs a few bucks but is a great application if you use a lot of usb devices. it enables you to customize them the way you like. i have used it for my game controller so i set it up individually for each game i play on my mac
-chris

OP
K

killjoi

It began working eventually, but took a few reboots. It actually did begin working in Mac OS prior to responding in XP. Thanks for the feedback. Now if only I can get the sound in Battlefield 2 to not be so choppy... :)

After using the Mac for a day, I've managed to convert my workflow from my IBM laptop to the Mac without much problem. In a word, dope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Lol that title cracked me up. Haha, an MS mouse not working on their system. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
killjoi said:
It began working eventually, but took a few reboots. It actually did begin working in Mac OS prior to responding in XP. Thanks for the feedback. Now if only I can get the sound in Battlefield 2 to not be so choppy... :)

After using the Mac for a day, I've managed to convert my workflow from my IBM laptop to the Mac without much problem. In a word, dope.

Glad it finally worked. Is the sound choppy on your Mac or PC? Killer avatar BTW - I take it eagerly awaiting the Transformers movie. I hope Michael Bay doesn't screw it up ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.