Windows XP service pack 2 installation problem!

J

jediknight4jesu

tried this once but my computer ate the thread before i posted it...

so here's the short of it:

-bought a new macbook
-used bootcamp to install windows xp professional
-didn't have service pack 2 so drivers didn't work
-tried installing sp2 but get the following message:

"Service Pack 2 Setup Error:
There is not enough disk space on C:\WINDOWS\$NTServicePackUninstall$ to install Service Pack 2. Setup requires a minimum of 4 additional megabytes of free space or if you also want to archive the files for uninstallation, Setup requires 4 addtional megabytes of free space. Free additional space on your hard disk and then try again.

i've looked all over the place and never once seen anyone else with the same problem. all i've seen is warnings that you need to free more space...

BUT I HAVE 9+ GB OF FREE SPACE

am i misunderstanding something? where is the space i need to free, because windows is the only thing on the partition. nothing else.

i tried integrating sp2 into my install cd, but i don't have an original cd so i didn't have the microsoft file thingie you need for it to boot :(

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

specs: Macbook with 13.3-inch widescreen display, 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB RAM 60GB HD, SuperDrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You have to have an actual XP SP 2 disc that you bought in a store. You can't, AFAIK, upgrade from SP1, that's why it says SP2 REQUIRED

OP
J

jediknight4jesu

no way to...

you mean to say that there's NO way that you can upgrade from a previous version of windows? i have to repurchase windows just because it doesn't have SP2 on it? i can't find the original disk, just a copy i made

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
AFAIK there is not a way around it, but I could be wrong. Everything I have read says you have to have an actual disc with SP2 on it though.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
On a normal pc you can instal sp2 as stand alone upgrade, i'm not totally sure why apply says it's has to be on the install disk. But if your disc is a legal copy i think you can call microsoft and trade it in for a disk with sp2 on it, like how they will replace lost discs as long as you can prove you actually did buy it.

You could also just try calling Microsoft and tell them the problem and see if they can help. But if you do that I would sudjest not saying you are trying to put it on a mac at first as they might just tell you to call Apple so they don't have to help you.

OP
J

jediknight4jesu

is the reason that there isn't enough space (according to the installer) because it can't access it because the mac drivers aren't installed? because i'm trying to do this all BEFORE i install the mac drivers.

i was under the assumption that they wouldn't work unless i had SP2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
you can take your sp1 disc and do what's called "slipstream" sp2 onto the installation and make a new disc. search OnMac.net, i know they have information on it. :)

Reaction score
EASY SOLUTION!

so i spent at least 3 hours sweating over how to get this done w/o slipstream (or w/e), and i found a solution. Boot up in Windows, then do the following:

1. Click Start - Run - Type “regedit” and press enter

2. Navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Setup

3. In the right pane, Right-click and select New - String value

4. Name it as “BootDir” and set its value to “C:\

It was that simple for me, and once i did that, it worked perfectly.

i found this thanks to http://www.windowsreference.com/general/error-there-is-not-enough-disk-space-when-installing-sp3/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
It looks like that guide is for SP3 and not SP1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It looks like that guide is for SP3 and not SP1

It is an SP3 guide. It's a workaround for those that are installing SP3 without installing the Bootcamp update from Apple.

However, the same tweak seems to work to allow the forced install of SP2.

Personally though I'd beg or borrow an hour on a Windows machine and use nLite (as suggested above) to slipstream SP2 into an SP1 install if that's all is available.

Reaction score

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It is an SP3 guide. It's a workaround for those that are installing SP3 without installing the Bootcamp update from Apple.

However, the same tweak seems to work to allow the forced install of SP2.

Personally though I'd beg or borrow an hour on a Windows machine and use nLite (as suggested above) to slipstream SP2 into an SP1 install if that's all is available.

I don't recommend using nLite since it also requires the installation and use of the bloated .NET Frame programming mess.

To easily slipstream service packs in Windows the best software to use is
"autostreamer". See here:

Download Autostreamer 1.0.33 - Basically, all it really needs is a source (that being an original Windows CD or a local share) and a Service Pack file - Softpedia

Regards.

Reaction score
Windows with SP2

Quick question..I just ordered an iMac (haven't received yet). I did order windows XP Pro with sp2 in advance from a company online so I would have it ready to install when I get the computer.

I am getting worried about the install because I got 2 discs to install.....one says "Microsoft Window XP Professional with Service Pack 2....Version 2004 Corporate" and the second in the "Service Pack 2 Install CD.....Insert CD after you have installed XP PRO"

Is this going to be a problem??? Did I need this on "one" disk?

Thanks in advance for any help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never seen what you ordered but if SP2 is on a separate CD yes, there will be issues. If you read above there are ways around it. I would just use one of the SlipStream URL's above and make one CD with SP2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.