• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Educational System Gone!

Reaction score
A little more than a week since Apple began offering a rock-bottom priced iMac configuration targeted at educational customers, the company has stopped offering the machine to anyone other than institutional buyers. The $900 replacement for the eMac differed from the baseline consumer model only in its loss of superdrive, dedicated graphics, bluetooth, and Front Row caused a big stir with students heading back to school this fall.

Link to Full Story HERE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Well, it was designed for schools, so i guess their primary consumer will be schools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
I wish it would have still been available to students, or at least sold at schools for students. If I had some extra cash I would have been all over that imac. I was somewhat disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
macAttack said:
Well, it was designed for schools, so i guess their primary consumer will be schools.
Exactly. That is how the eMac (Education Mac) started out, it was only available to schools and institutions... not individual consumers. While there is no concrete reason as to explain why they opened up sale of the eMac to the general public, it was likely due in part to its success in the schools and Apple's need for a 'budget' system for consumers.
Now there is the Mini. The Educational iMac is great, but it will take away from sales of the 'regular' iMac, which I would assume is something that Apple doesn't want to happen. If someone wants a cheaper Mac, then Apple has the Mini for that reason. After all, the Edu. iMac was more or less a Mini with a built in LCD
:black:

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
Exactly. That is how the eMac (Education Mac) started out, it was only available to schools and institutions... not individual consumers. While there is no concrete reason as to explain why they opened up sale of the eMac to the general public, it was likely due in part to its success in the schools and Apple's need for a 'budget' system for consumers.
Now there is the Mini. The Educational iMac is great, but it will take away from sales of the 'regular' iMac, which I would assume is something that Apple doesn't want to happen. If someone wants a cheaper Mac, then Apple has the Mini for that reason. After all, the Edu. iMac was more or less a Mini with a built in LCD
:black:

yeah that could be the reason. But now people would spend less on the mac mini then rather spending or a better iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i bet that they accidentally put it on the page and just caught on...lol

really IMHO it looked to be a rather sub-par mac in terms of specs. i would not buy it even if i were in a jam. or maybe in the past few weeks they only sold like 3 and decided to just abandon ship real fast
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Another thing to keep in mind, this was only offered on the Educational discount site and not open to the general masses. The only way that you could have ordered one was if you were eligible for said discount. Apple saw a huge influx of orders for this new version, they likely realized that many of them were from people "cheating the system." It is no secret that this very forum, along with others, had some post that announced this "great deal" and new configuration to anyone and everyone. Of course not just anyone and everyone can techincally order one, so they cheat the system and have their: brother, sister, cousin, neighbor, friend, long lost uncle twice removed...etc. order it for them since that person WAS eligible for the discount, yet had no intention of ever purchasing or using the computer for themselves. Apple isn't stupid, and probably pulled the plug before too many people abused the system. That way, they can actually have the computers to supply the initial and intended audience (SCHOOLS, not the average joe having his/her buddy buy it for them using said school discount) first and ensure that they aren't shortened on stock by those who would obtain them by loopholes in the order process.

OP
coltssaturday
Reaction score
coach_z said:
i bet that they accidentally put it on the page and just caught on...lol

really IMHO it looked to be a rather sub-par mac in terms of specs. i would not buy it even if i were in a jam. or maybe in the past few weeks they only sold like 3 and decided to just abandon ship real fast
-chris

yeah they might have just put it on their accidently and then didn't get enough sales and then removed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.