• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
So I get a call today from a blocked number, which isn't unusual in itself, but upon answering, I hear a girls voice saying she found my number and asks who I am. And then asks if I'm in high school. Being I'm not, I answered no and she imediatly hung up leading me to believe she is in high school and thinking I'm a "creepy old man" or something.

Now the weirdest part is this isn't the first time this has happened to me. About 3 years ago on my way to school on morning, again not high school, I get a call from some random girl who ask my name and then my age and after finding out how old I am, with a very dissapointed sounding voice says "oh" and hangs up.

So am I the only person who gets calls from random high school girls?

And just incase this happens agian, any sudjestions on what I couls say to make these conversations more entertaining for me as just being hung up on is kinda borring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
haha, someone probably wrote your phone number in the girl's bathroom.

i don't get random phone calls, but a few months back i got a random picture message from some pretty young looking girls. figuring that they sent it to the wrong number, i sent back a picture looking like as much of a freaky pedo as i could. they didn't respond. :)

as for ways to keep the conversations going, i'd start with telling them you're in high school. that would at least get them to the next question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
And this is why I never answer the phone if an unlisted, blocked or "Out of Area" call shows up on caller ID.
If you don't have the ability or desire to allow caller ID to notify me who you are, then I am not going to waste my time answering.
I have a perfectly good answering machine for that.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook
I read somewhere that sometimes cops run investigations like that and then see if you choose to proceed the conversation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
gnat1223 said:
I read somewhere that sometimes cops run investigations like that and then see if you choose to proceed the conversation...

I doubt they would go after random people... seems a little weird and might violate the constitution, police officers leading someone into a crime they wouldn't have committed with out their assistance.

dohidied said:
i don't get random phone calls, but a few months back i got a random picture message from some pretty young looking girls. figuring that they sent it to the wrong number, i sent back a picture looking like as much of a freaky pedo as i could. they didn't respond. :)

as for ways to keep the conversations going, i'd start with telling them you're in high school. that would at least get them to the next question.

yikes.

I thought it was illegal to lie about who you are over the phone... FCC regulation or something.

D3v1L80Y said:
And this is why I never answer the phone if an unlisted, blocked or "Out of Area" call shows up on caller ID.
If you don't have the ability or desire to allow caller ID to notify me who you are, then I am not going to waste my time answering.
I have a perfectly good answering machine for that.
:black:

Exactly. I don't even answer all the time when it is a number I don't have. That happened to me once also, except they didn't block their number :biohazard so I called them back and listened to their voice message.. it was just onea my old friends (girls) playing tricks on me, now I transfer over all my #s when I get a new phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Stopped answering Non-Caller ID #s a long time ago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Maybe they thought u were older and saw u somewhere. My friend gets random girls walking by his house asking for him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB
if they call back just be real smooth and avoid answering their question by asking them some... and freedom of speech is allowed on phones as well so unless you actually commit a crime that can be proved then what are you to worry about?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.